Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
kmealy

Furniture Bank Workshop Project

Rate this topic

That is good news, I know that organization does great things. That must be the Cincinnati FB?. The pics I've seen of the one in Columbus look quite a bit different.

but isn't having your help on (or knocked to) their knees a bit much???

2 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

That is good news, I know that organization does great things. That must be the Cincinnati FB?. The pics I've seen of the one in Columbus look quite a bit different.

Yes, the one in Columbus is quite a bit bigger.  We visited there last year.    They have 2 shifts a day of volunteers and a huge building to make dressers  and beds with lots of jigs and specialized set ups.   They also have a store like a Goodwill or St. Vincent de Paul where they sell used furniture.   They get semis full of sheet goods from Sauder Woodworking.    We are about 10 years behind them.  We get volunteers 2 or 3 times a month and about the same for us regulars.

What is the purposed of the furniture bank?

I would assume for people that cannot afford their own?

How did you get this started?  Almost every town in America needs one of these.

Did it grow from a woodworking guild?

Sorry for all the questions but I have been approached by several charities seeking beds and bedroom furniture.

3 hours ago, Michael Thuman said:

What is the purposed of the furniture bank?

I would assume for people that cannot afford their own?

How did you get this started?  Almost every town in America needs one of these.

Did it grow from a woodworking guild?

Sorry for all the questions but I have been approached by several charities seeking beds and bedroom furniture.

The furniture bank works with agencies helping people coming out of homeless for whatever reason.   Might be domestic abuse, money problems, etc.

I got into it because they called the woodworking club looking for some help about 3 years ago, 8 years into their life.  Since then we have cut the parts, developed some improvements and new projects and now working on a machinery set up in their site.  We built 120 tables from Oct 15, 2017 to Dec 15, 2017.

http://nlfurniture.org/

https://www.facebook.com/cincyfurniturebank/

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/furniture-bank-building-tables-collecting-plates-for-people-transitioning-out-of-homelessness

Keith thanks that is exactly what the groups asking me to build them furniture is from.  One a half way house for abused women. The other a well known charity.   I see all the peices are painted.  Is the wood used soft or hard wood and is it donated or reclaimed or purchased?  Should I approach my local wood working guild to get the help I need?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again for the sources.

In my humble opinion every woodworking guild should be part of something like this.

Right now, everything we do is of particle board and melamine covered particle board.   While I'd like something better that is where we are.    It's better to help four families than one, even though we expect the life of these to be 5-7 years.   Part of it was decided before I got there.   The one in Columbus is about 10 years ahead of ours.   They get free semi-loads of particle board from Sauder Woodworking, a RTA furniture factory in northern Ohio. 

We get the sheets from a local commercial supplier, probably because the guy who cut the parts prior to our involvement uses them for his own business.   I think we could probably do with scratch and dent or seconds for a lot of the parts, though our scrap % will go up some if we have to work around defects.   Right now, we have little waste.  Out of 68 tables in a batch, we probably have less than 1 sheet's worth of scrap in 3"x8" or smaller pieces.

When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.   Columbus makes the same tables (probably where the design came from), beds, dressers and even (rather boxy looking) chairs from their particle board.

Separate room for assembly area.   We made six work tables for that.   Grand dedication this Saturday AM.