Danl

You did good Dan...REALLY GOOD! The 101 is very nice and appears original. I paid $7.50 for one at a flea market not even close to that nice but is was the only one I'd ever seen in captivity.

Getting an extra blade let alone one blade with spoke shave is very fortunate.

The 71-1/2 appears to be in pristine original condition considering the age plus two original cutters; the other two look to be made later, but from tool steel or lathe cutters.

The marking gauges and gouges are just icing on the cake.

@John Moody will be envious of these...me, I'm just green with envy:lol:

I suspect that the gouges are sans handles. Turn/make some nice handles and you're got some super nice users.

I'm jealous of the 71-1/2, it is in really nice shape. The 101 is a handy plane and is perfect for breaking edges. I don't recognize the shave, does it have a model number?

Either way, excellent finds for the price.

The owner of these items most likely was not a woodworker/carpenter and probably inherited them.  At the auction where was a carpenter's tool box.  The action company pieced out some of the items.  They put these tools in a box and I had the highest bid.  I was originally wanting the  71-1/2 plane.  The 71-1/2, 101, and spokeshave have evidence of gentle use.  I did find some markings on the underside of the handle of the spokeshave but they are not very legible.  I think it is a No. 53.  The blades are clearly marked Stanley Rule and Level Co.

I can not find any info about the gouges.  Bill, what is/are sans handles?

Ebay has an 18" Phelps panel/marking gauge for sale, asking $199.95  Ouch!

Danl

2 minutes ago, Danl said:

Of course that's eBay and asking, BUT I suspect one in the condition you have (appears original with patina) is pretty rare and would fetch a premium price to the right person. The pair would be even more desirable  as I set IMO.

You have a good eye for quality, collectible and usable tools Dan. Thanks for sharing all the pictures.

45 minutes ago, Danl said:

The owner of these items most likely was not a woodworker/carpenter and probably inherited them.  At the auction where was a carpenter's tool box.  The action company pieced out some of the items.  They put these tools in a box and I had the highest bid.  I was originally wanting the  71-1/2 plane.  The 71-1/2, 101, and spokeshave have evidence of gentle use.  I did find some markings on the underside of the handle of the spokeshave but they are not very legible.  I think it is a No. 53.  The blades are clearly marked Stanley Rule and Level Co.

I can not find any info about the gouges.  Bill, what is/are sans handles?

Danl

Without handles. The shafts have knurling on them which may indicate that they were make that way to grip the inside of a handle. The shafts are really too small to comfortably grip, put handles on them and look out!

You can ask any price you want but it doesn't mean that is the price you will get. One sold on January 30th for $28. A far cry from $199. I have seen people asked more for used Veritas planes than they are selling for new at Lee Valley. There is a 71-1/2 on Fleece Bay now and the bid price is $137.50 with two Veritas blades (1/4" and 1/2") worth $32. Just a tad overpriced...I can buy a new large Veritas router plane with a blade for $159. Just wait for the free shipping...

You got an exceptional deal at $37+. The 71-1/2 is worth that and the other stuff is icing on the cake.

Yes, great snag..."you suck" :lol: