This Just Pmo...

Stick486

1 hour ago, HARO50 said:

as opposed to "cee-ment ponds"!

My favorite show was when the banker came by and saw Jethro swimming 90 MPH around the pool and he asked him how was it he could swim that fast.  Jethro said the water was a lot thinner that it was in the mud hole they swam in back home.

Life was simple back then.  The show really was about all the problems he had after moving to Beverly Hills.  Even TV was easier to watch.  Today's TV flashes around so much can hardly get eyes to focus.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

...and what you describe John is actually how it was here in Indiana...well no ocean, surf boards and only a freak of nature giving warm winter days:lol: but we did have Friday & Saturday Hoosier Hoop Hysteria.:) Had the criminal element really been present then, Fridays & Saturdays would have been the nights for crime because every High School gym was typically packed to the rafters with nearly everyone from the small towns. The local schools brought the people together and defined the communities. Consolidations have mostly ended that.

Same here as Gene mentioned his experiences...no doubt one could have walked among the cars around the schools during the game and found rifles and shotguns hanging in the back windows of the PU trucks or laying in the back seats...not intended to commit crimes, but get the jump on your neighbor the next morning to hunt rabbits, quail, pheasants, squirrel. As Gene also noted you would probably find the keys in the ignition too...and well the houses would have been easy prey because if they had a lock it was seldom used. And as John recalled, every self respecting guy had at least one pocket knife in his pocket (likely had belonged to his father or grand-father)...I mean how else could you clean your finger nails and carve up an apple at half time to share with your buddies.:P Before I graduated though, the laws had stiffened...you had to go outside of the gym to smoke...some of those old timbers would never have tolerated a spark.:D

Sadly, things are no longer that way here either. Our county (36k +/-) suffers from the same ills of the major metropolitan areas...illegal drugs are rampant, theft and low level felonies occur daily. While murder and gun violence is still something we watch & read about on the news. I wonder how long that will hold. Unfortunately, two sheriff deputies killed in the past two years (one just a couple weeks ago) in the line of duty were killed by individuals from our county. The most recent, when he was asked "why he did it?", responded, " 'cause I didn't want to get bit by the dog!"; the officer was a K-9 officer and had turned his dog loose during the foot chase. Worse yet, when asked if he was sorry, he replied, "Nope, No remorse what-so-ever!"

Our daughter grew up watching Little House and the Waltons...in fact we have the entire Little House DVD collection which includes many hours of scenes plus behind the scenes never shown on TV. Our grand-daughters now watch them with their grandmother...but her rules: only one DVD out at a time, hands must be cleaned:rolleyes:. We both watch re-runs of Gunsmoke, The Big Valley, Death Valley Days, Bonanza and similar.

IDK, probably my grand-father and dad thought the same as we do now, but it seems the expectation to "treat others and you would want to be treated" is long lost. I remember the first time I attempted to pass blame on someone else, my dad making me point my hand/finger at him then telling me to look at my hand..."what do you see?" he asked. Dumb kid I was "I dunno, my hand?" He then went on to tell me what HE saw..."While one finger is pointing at me (or someone else) just remember son you have three fingers pointing back at you." I'll never forget that lesson.

Sorry for my ramblings...no excuse here...I'm not taking any pain meds.:lol: Thanks John for sharing your personal life experiences with us. Very humbling to read.

No need to apologize...I think we have all had the same experiences...and, speaking for myself I wish and hope, that I will eventually be able to find it again, somewhere.

2 minutes ago, schnewj said:

No need to apologize...I think we have all had the same experiences...and, speaking for myself I wish and hope, that I will eventually be able to find it again, somewhere.

Land's cheap here, taxes are low and we hardly ever need to lock the doors or take the keys out of the vehicles. C'mon out. Oh, and bring your side arms and long guns. Everybody carries. That's why the doors are usually unlocked.:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

Bears are cute and cuddly.  You can take selfies with bears.

...of course they are, very cute and cuddly. In FL. they have spilled over out of the wildlife management area into the nearby sub-divisions. There have only been three mauling/attacks and, um, several attacked or missing pooches in just the past year. However, they are soooo, cute and cuddly some lobbied and won, to shut down the hunting season for them.

PA did that back in the 80's after the typical three day season yielded a 500+ count. They thought that they had over-hunted them and shut down the following season or two. The population exploded and, they ended up extending the traditional three day to an extra day or two. If I recall correctly, the 2017 season yielded 2000+ and produced a LOT of 500-600 pounders.

Anybody who grew up around them knows, that, they are anything but cure and cuddly...

On 3/17/2018 at 10:43 AM, John Morris said:

I was born and raised in a little beach town called Ocean Beach, in the City of San Diego. I can't vouch for the rest of California during that time period, but my City of San Diego was pretty squared away, and my beach town was a good place to grow up. My alert younger years were the mid 70's through the late 80's, things seemed normal, at the age of 9 or 10 I was riding my bike all over the place without fear, and told to be home before the street lights came on, I was skateboarding to the beach with a surfboard under my arm in grade school and paddling out meanwhile leaving my skateboard propped up against the life guard tower, without fear of anyone ripping it off.

Mom and I walked every where, the town was small, we rarely owned a car anyways, things were tight back then, walked to the grocery store and back, mom walked to work, I walked to school, older sisters hung out with the biker crowd so now and then I'd get a ride to school on the back of a Harley, our rented duplex was located about 4 blocks from the beach so going to the beach was a daily occurrence, even through the winter, I was a fish. When times got really tough, every Thursday morning before school, mom and I would stand in line at the back of our Catholic Church we attended and wait for a box full of government food, cheese, oatmeal, big jug of honey, big jug of peanut butter, (I ate peanut butter and honey sandwiches for lunch every day at school, I still love them and I eat them to this day) as we are waiting in line I remember friends and other kids walking by on their way to school, and I'd see them, they'd see me, it bothered me at the time, but as I look back on it all, it was a character builder, mom had to go on welfare a few times and she hated it, back then they were food-stamps, very obvious looking in the grocers line as she tore them out of the booklet, I remember her being completely embarrassed and ashamed (something missing in today's charitable recipients, humility) we bounced in and out of the welfare system, as single mom she did the best she could, she held down odd jobs, sewed arts and crafts on the side, held down temp jobs, but through it all, that little beach town was where it all happened for me, not without negative consequences on my end, it was tough and I acted out in a very bad way in my teens and I am lucky to be alive today and I am lucky I didn't kill anyone, joined the Army and got it all straightened up, Army saved my life.

Point being, at least my little segment of California I grew up in could of been middle America, it could have been a farm town in Indiana the way things were, people were different, more friendly, more giving, more compassionate towards their neighbor, parents all sat on porches in the neighborhood while us kids screamed down the street on our plastic bigwheels, it was just different. Today, California is a mess, I don't even like going back to my beach town where I grew up, homeless own the streets, the fishing pier has been taken over by wild eyed fishing folks from another world, they cut bait on the pier deck, even though there are designated sinks for that, they pull in fish they should throw back but don't, no consideration for the area, and the whole town just looks bad.

Yep, California is different for sure. Not the same one I grew up in. Sorry for the long ramble, must the be the drugs I'm taking for my dental surgery. Cheers folks.

EVERYBODY!!! HERE IS A REAL MAN! TELLING THINGS MOST WOULDN'T ADMIT. TAKES A MAN TO REVEAL THE BAD PART/EMBARRASSING PART OF'EZ LIFE. JOHN YOU HAVE A GREAT ADMIRER HERE. I LIKE TRUTHFUL PEOPLE.  AND DESPISE LIARS & THIEVES. THANKS JOHN, YOURS TRULY CERTAIN;Y NEVER CAME FROM A WEALTHY FAMILY. Cya

Archived