I must live in a cave....

Fred W. Hargis Jr

Yup, and if I done my figuring correctly my 1999 Dakota should carry me on up to where I no longer drive.  It only has 185,000 miles now.  My son just had to "trade" his in (a '98 model with 250,000+ miles).  I am only averaging between 5-6,000 miles per year.

I guess we are all kinda in the same boat. Bought a new 150 in 98. Last year between yearly inspections it got 72 miles on the odometer. It has less than 100.000 miles. It stays in the garage and still looks new.

We do trade cars often. Last 6 cars with the first 2 of the 6 had lots of miles on them when we bought them and none of the 6 have ever needed any repairs only the 1st one needed a new top radiator hose.

We had a little Ford Focus that got around 30 mpg. But, this old fat man found it difficult to enter and exit. So, we traded for a Fusion Hybrid. Bigger and more comfortable. And, it gets around 50 mpg. Needless to say, the 250 stays in the garage most of the time.

Got a 2001 GMC Sanoma in the back garage with 80 some thousand miles that I bought new.  I don't drive much either.  Bought a used Jeep Wrangler a few years ago which is now my daily driver.  Even at two years old it cost more than my first house did.  I really do like driving the Jeep.

Fred, the Denali is a cream puff luxury truck. He ain't gonna use it for its intended purpose. 

You can still get a great truck from the high 20's to high 30's. 

Let us know if you ever see a pile of logs or dirt in the bed of his truck, I doubt you ever will.

But hey, people spend as they see fit, I respect that. Good on him!!!!

7 hours ago, hatuffej said:

I drive a 1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 4L, 5-speed manual 4WD,

Best Jeep ever built (well except for the Willys WWII models) especially with the 4.0L.hated to see that engine go...

Our first was an '86 Cherokee Ltd with the V6 (GM) Engine...Jeep was great, engine so-so...next was a '93 Grand Cherokee Laredo with 4.0...best Jeep we've ever owned. Bought my daughter a used '97 Cherokee, Country 4.0L when she graduated from college...went nearly 200k with it...she traded it on a lease for first year Commander with the hemi...a Jeep albatross and one of the top 3 poor decisions of her life.  We've had 3 Grand Cherokee LTD's since first Grand...current is '05 with 4.7 V-8 ~132k miles....it's been a pretty decent vehicle...daughter has had two Liberty's...not bad vehicles either...going to take her '04 LTD, fix up and give to oldest grand-daughter for first vehicle.

4 minutes ago, p_toad said:

I don't remember that model.. :huh:

My bad...the Jeep Commander turned out to be an albatross for Jeep...way over priced, poor fuel mileage with the Hemi (although with the 4.7L not so much)...bad timing for model release ('06-'10) which became height of recession; basically it was designed as a high end model to compete with the Hummer H-2 (a GM albatross)...both died horrible deaths.

1 hour ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Commander with the hemi...a Jeep albatross

so I'm standing there admiring a brand new huge Jeep SUV something or another in black w/ gold accents trim and rims...

owner comes out of the store and we converse a bit...

he brags a lot...

he says I ought to get one...

I say .. naw...

I don't need to be the black Jeep in the family...

25 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

so I'm standing there admiring a brand new huge Jeep SUV something or another in black w/ gold accents trim and rims...

owner comes out of the store and we converse a bit...

he brags a lot...

he says I ought to get one...

I say .. naw...

I don't need to be the black Jeep in the family...

Maybe I should get one. It would be..... well, appropriate! :blush:

John

Archived