Home Made Dovetail Jig

Buckaroo

THINK I'VE FIGURED OUT HOW TO BUILD 24'' DOVETAIL JIG. PROLLY HAVE $25. OR LESS IN MAIN PART. THINKING ON CUTTING/FORMING THE FINGERS USING ROUTER TABLE AND STRAIGHT CARBIDE BIT. PURTY WELL KNO THIS'LL BE SH** CANED LIKE MY ''PUSH BLOCK''. O'WELL, OLD COUNTRY BOY WILL SURVIVE,,,MAYBE SOMEPLACE ELSE.

TRACE AN OLD HANDSAW HANDLE ON TO PROPER WOOD TO MAKE A HANDLE, MAKE TWO OF'M. CUT PIECE OF 1/4 / 3/8 PLY BOUT 22'' LONG X 12'' WIDE. RIP/SAW OFF THE BOTTOM OF THE 22'' PIECE SO THERE'S A 1/4'' HEEL(PUSH BLOCK?) THAT'LL BE LOCATED UNDER THE HANDLES MENTIONED  MINUTE AGO. GLUE/SCREW THE 22'' (HANDLE CUT INTO 22'') SO HANDLE IS 3 THICKNESSES THICK AN COMFORTABLE. YEAW IT KINDA ZEMBLES A HANDSAW, BUT THE SAW BLADE IS PLYWOOD. 

USE THIS TO PUSH NARROW PIECES PAST SPINNING BLADE ON TABLE SAW.

DESIGNED TO KEEP YA FINGERS / HANDS CLEAR OF THE BLADE.

WANNA MAKE IT DELUX MODEL, GLUE / ATTACH SAND PAPER ON THE END OF 22'' SO IT'LL KINDA DIG IN AND GUIDE THE STRIPS THRU.

DON'T WRAP OR GLUE SANDPAPER UP THE SIDES OF THE 12'' PART, BLADE WILL MOST LIKELY GRAB / PICK IT UP.

1 hour ago, lew said:

Sounds like it'll work. Are you going to use Baltic Birch plywood?

Do you have a picture of the push block??  It sounds pretty neat.

HEY THANKS, PUSH BLOCK MENTIONED WAS THE 1/4'' HEEL LOCATED ON BOTTOM OF 22'' PIECE, UNDERNEATH / CLOSE TO THE HANDLE.

GUESS YA COULD GLUE A 1/4'' THICK PIECE OF (what ever ya got) FOR/AS PUSH BLOCK ONTO (saw grove in ''whatever ya got'' the 22'' piece will fit into, glue it)THE BOTTOM OF 22'' PIECE.  THE LONG 22'' PIECE IS TO HOLD WHAT'S BEING SAWED DOWN/SAFELY, SO SAW BLADE WON'T PICK UP THE LITTLE FLIMSY STRIP BEING SAWED FOR SOMETHING YA BUILDING.

THIS JIG IS INTENDED TO MAKE USE OF THOSE OLD HANDLES, THEIR POSITION GIVES A DOWNWARD FORCE ON 22'', & push block, SAME AS A handsaw.

Must be nice to know how to 'splain things like this. Maybe someone will jump in and 'splain this better'n I have. Gotta go, working on nother book.

1 hour ago, Buck Nall said:

HEY THANKS, PUSH BLOCK MENTIONED WAS THE 1/4'' HEEL LOCATED ON BOTTOM OF 22'' PIECE, UNDERNEATH / CLOSE TO THE HANDLE.

GUESS YA COULD GLUE A 1/4'' THICK PIECE OF (what ever ya got) FOR/AS PUSH BLOCK ONTO (saw grove in ''whatever ya got'' the 22'' piece will fit into, glue it)THE BOTTOM OF 22'' PIECE.  THE LONG 22'' PIECE IS TO HOLD WHAT'S BEING SAWED DOWN/SAFELY, SO SAW BLADE WON'T PICK UP THE LITTLE FLIMSY STRIP BEING SAWED FOR SOMETHING YA BUILDING.

THIS JIG IS INTENDED TO MAKE USE OF THOSE OLD HANDLES, THEIR POSITION GIVES A DOWNWARD FORCE ON 22'', & push block, SAME AS A handsaw.

Must be nice to know how to 'splain things like this. Maybe someone will jump in and 'splain this better'n I have. Gotta go, working on nother book.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, lew said:

This is one I originally made to use with small pieces on the jointer but it also finds its' way to the table saw.

IMG_6879.thumb.JPG.86bf636ee3d538f51994421c8355abdc.JPG

I like at heavy duty'un, wide so it stays upright Gene. Lew yours is good enuff fer anybody, neat as a shinny new dime. But who am I to pass judgement. Thanks fellows.

2 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Careful shouting that out...Gass will be banning walnut next:P

What's the extra slot to the left on the saw table Gene? Is this the table on your SS?

Ya know, I've never used it. Maybe for a blade for when you need more support to the right? I try not to lift anything that long.:lol: 

Ahh...it just came to me. It's the slot used when the table is tilted for a 45 cut. But, you won't find me tempting fate by doing that. That's what SCMS are for.