Suggestions please.

Denni_87

Hey people,

It's a bit off topic... But still...

Actually, the sofa set in our living room is worn out. It is an old type sofa. The spring in the sofa has been hitting us while sitting. The sofa is really in a bad condition. I am really embarrassed to invite people.

Finally, my wife and I’ve decided to change the sofa in the living room. We are looking for a good one, which would last longer than the old one. One of my friends suggested a team where they have all types of living room furniture in our price range. We visited their site to find many good sofas and loveseats. After visiting we are a bit confused now. Well, I like the Yahtzee Onyx Ultra-Plush Sofa & Loveseat and he likes the Luna Mineral Sofa & Loveseat. So, we are kind of an argument. So, I was thinking of getting opinions from someone other than us. What do you guys think???

Which one would be better??? Please suggest... I was thinking of fixing the old one, but my wife insisted on getting a new one. You know, you can never win over your wife. ;)

9 hours ago, Denni_87 said:

What do you guys think???

Which one would be better??? Please suggest.

So that's why you joined up with us huh?:rolleyes: I think this is a trap here of some sort..."Well honey, the guys on TPW SAID...":lol:

Like @Gene Howe said, "Even if you win, you lose."  Listen to your instinct, like whatever she wants.

Remember, down the road you're gonna' want some new tool  for the workshop; I suspect you' won't be asking her input for that? :D Besides, we'll be more than happy to tell you how to spend your money then.:lol:

My thoughts:

What I tell people is that if you have an older upholstered piece, it probably has good "bones."   Repair and re-upholstery will probably cost more than or as much as a new one, but you'll end up with a much better piece.  New ones tend to be made from stapled together OSB, China-ply, and particle board frames and sinuous springs.   Old ones hardwood with real joints and hand-tied coil springs.    I have had to repair $10,000 sofas in the showroom that were coming apart.   The straps holding on the springs were secured with roofing nails. 

Having it repaired & reupholstered will allow you to select exactly the fabric you want and not just "this light gray one here, the darker grey one over there, or the beige one back there."

There are some good new ones, but they're hard to find.   Most of them have been run out of business by the "7 piece living room set, ONLY $799!"s

And if it's a dated piece, you might opt for a new one.

Unless you're married to the idea of  buying something new, spend some time at 768 Belfast Road
Ottawa, ON K1G 0Z7 in your Restore there.   If it's anything like ours, you will sometimes find  some

really nice furniture that gets donated because...   We don't even accept the dirty or stained stuff;

it mostly looks almost new.   On the other hand, as has been pointed out; if your old stuff has good

bones, make it a project (your wife can work on, too).   You'll get a probably much better piece of

furniture than you can affordably buy and the satisfaction of fixing it up the way you both want.

12 hours ago, It Was Al B said:

Actually, you can still buy manufactured furniture with the fabric you want. My wife had hundreds of fabrics to choose from. Funny, she finally decided on a light grey. Also had a choice of the upholstering she prefered.

I did a lot of work for a Norwalk Furniture Store before they closed.  The mfr. got caught in the 2008 credit fiasco.  But everything they sold was made-to-order.   I believe the frames came from off-shore and were upholstered in Ohio or Alabama.   I ended up buying a piece from them, another brand, during the period where they could not get orders from the Norwalk factory.  But I believe that company has since folded now, too.

The factory got their credit called in.   They had orders but because they had no credit, they could not get materials.   Because they could not get materials, they could not manufacture.   Because they could not manufacture, they could not sell.   Because they could not sell, they had no revenue.  Because they had no revenue, they could not get credit. [repeat]

2 hours ago, kmealy said:

The factory got their credit called in.   They had orders but because they had no credit, they could not get materials.   Because they could not get materials, they could not manufacture.   Because they could not manufacture, they could not sell.   Because they could not sell, they had no revenue.  Because they had no revenue, they could not get credit. [repeat]

.... And all for the want of a horseshoe nail! ;)

John

An old saying, @p_toad: For want of a nail, a shoe was lost; for want of a shoe, the horse was lost; for want of a horse, the rider was lost; for want of a rider, the message was lost; for want of a message, the battle was lost; for want of a battle, the war was lost..... And all for the want of a horseshoe nail!

John

Sorry People for the late reply... Caught up in some works...

On 2/23/2018 at 6:12 PM, Stick486 said:

what country was it made in???

w/ the talent shown in the project pictures.. make your own...

I want to... But my wife is not very patient at all...

On 2/23/2018 at 7:35 PM, Ron Dudelston said:

Do you like your current sofa?  If so, is it repairable ?  If so, tackle it yourself.  Might be a good couples project.

I'll give it a try(repairing it)... But my wife adamant about getting a new one... 

Edited by Denni_87

On 2/26/2018 at 6:55 AM, Ron Altier said:

You did say WE.  Assuming the other half we is your lady, and after 50 years with my lady, I let her make all furniture decisions. I do offer suggestions in structure and if it sits or would nap properly.

Me too... :D:D