While we are concerned with the terrible news

Smallpatch

of murders in schools it might help understand whats going through everyday peoples minds if they read what

US news and world report found from long ago...

It happened May 18, 1927 ...No guns were used, but it did ,up end, a little school in Bath , Michigan ... This dad who lost an election and whose wife was in terrible health and his mortgage was past due so he took his grief out on the little school and the kids attending that school....

I hope everyone googles or finds this old news item for it does have a lot to do with todays problems..........

Jess

Dan it seems like I read every day where someone gets fired then not long after that the person goes back and kills a few people.   

Or they confront police officers so the cops has to do the killing or else gets killed.....

During WW11 lots of people would walk up to our house and ask for food and lots of times they would say they could do some chores for something to eat...back then you hardly ever heard of someone stealing anything. And then after the war there were lot of hobos hitch hiking and riding trains.  Mostly men,  hanging all over the trains riding to where, most never cared, to just get to another town and maybe a better place and maybe a job...My folks always picked up people and never worried for our safety..

The hatred now is so instilled in people much like in that article from 1927

A couple of years ago, Allen and Tami Worsham were staying with us and we went to the local grocery.  I struck up a conversation with the lady in line just in front of me.  Allen was amazed that two people who didn't know each other would strike up a conversation.  He said, "That would never happen in Southern California"  and he was right.

I sometimes will talk with a stranger will filling up at the card lock or at a store. My big "fear" is that that person will start telling me their whole life story, and then it is hard to get away from them. Just like yesterday, I was up on our ODOT project (the crew was snowed out) but I was inspecting our traffic control devices and filling out my erosion control report when a guy comes up and starts talking to me while I was sitting in the pickup. The only thing that got me away from him was my phone rang and I answered it.

4 hours ago, Ron Dudelston said:

A couple of years ago, Allen and Tami Worsham were staying with us and we went to the local grocery.  I struck up a conversation with the lady in line just in front of me.  Allen was amazed that two people who didn't know each other would strike up a conversation.  He said, "That would never happen in Southern California"  and he was right.

Yup!

Living in So. California is unique in many ways. As a kid growing up people were friendly, helpful and chatty. But things changed in the late 60's and early 70's dealing with all the Vietnam stuff and the Hippies and the whole culture change and has been going downhill ever since. Hence the reason that y wife and I are looking to move out of California to Kentucky this year.

Here is a bit of perspective about the "Florida School Shooting". I was talking with a friend who has been in Law Enforcement for almost 40 years. He was on SWAT for many years and he and his wife (also in Law Enforcement) have run a firearms training business for about 25 years. They do tactical training for Law Enforcement, SWAT, Security Teams, Military, Churches and Civilians. I have been through a number of their classes and training and they are top notch.  I was in one of their classes this past weekend and my friend started off with a 15-20 minute commentary about the Florida school shooting. Here is a brief summary of his commentary.

"Regarding the School Shooting in Florida. All of the students knew that this kid was messed up and talked about having firearms and wanting to shoot up the school. The kids told their teachers and administrators and they would not let him come on school grounds with a backpack because they also knew that he had been making and bringing knives to school to sell to other kids. The teachers told the Principal who in turn told the School Administrators who then told the Police who then told the FBI. But nothing was done other than talking to the kid and his family/guardians and this shooting happened. Why haven't any of these people been fired for failure to do their jobs? And you can bet that there will be massive law suits."

My wife has been a Special Educator for more than 30 years. The school that she is at is considered a "Closed Campus". So that means there is one access point for a person to enter once the kids have arrived at school. You have to go into the Office to be cleared for access to the campus. All of the classrooms and building have electronic door locks that will only allow access only with an official School Employee ID Card which has their face on it along with their name. So there is no way to enter a classroom or office without the ID Card. This school is located in a lower socio-economic community (AKA Rough Neighborhood) and there are a number of "School Lock Downs" every year as there are a number of individuals (mostly due to family issues where a husband/wife gets angry and makes threats of violence to teachers or staff). There are a couple of "Security" people on site, (some times) but they are not armed and cannot carry any "Less Than Lethal" weapon (AKA Pepper Spray). So while access to the school is restricted, all a person who wants to do harm is to hop the chain link fence and away they go. This is typical of the majority of schools in my area.

There are many who are proposing that teachers get trained with firearms and tactics to protect the kids. But one thing that I know after being married to a teacher for 34 years is that the vast majority of teachers are wired differently emotionally. To be a good teacher means that you have to love and care for your students, which is much more of a "Nurturing" thing. I know that most teachers will protect their kids with their lives and stand between their kids and the bad guy. But very few teachers are not up to carrying a firearm, much less using a firearm, due to the way they are wired emotionally.

So what that means is that in order to protect children in schools, armed Teachers are not the best answer. The best answer (in my personal opinion) would be to have dedicated Security People who have the training and skills and tools to deal with those who want to come on a school campus to due harm. 

1 hour ago, Allen Worsham said:

So what that means is that in order to protect children in schools, armed Teachers are not the best answer. The best answer (in my personal opinion) would be to have dedicated Security People who have the training and skills and tools to deal with those who want to come on a school campus to due harm. 

Provided the hired security does it's job and doesn't cower outside.

@John Morris, @Ron Dudelston, @John Moody...if this post is determined to be a violation of TOS or established Rules for this Forum, removal at your discretion is understood in advance.

A lot of views regarding this topic about various contributing factors...many of which I agree are contributors or an outgrowth from far deeper issues.

I'll share my (actually not mine, but those of David Barton) views when I believe the decline in our society and culture took root.

The Supreme Court handed down a ruling in 1962 based on no previous precedent. Never in the history of our nation had the Supreme Court taken an action without a precedent.

This video as you will see is quite dated as can be seen by a very young David Barton. IMHO, he is one of the most knowledgeable and brilliant minds understanding our Constitution and the intent of our Founding Fathers.

The statistics are accurate through the periods shown (again dated). While they (statistics) don't reflect the most current time, the trends and numbers continue to escalate. Coincidence? Perhaps...

More about who David Barton is can be found at https://wallbuilders.com/

Thanks for considering an alternative view...

It’s Too Late – Broward County School Board Beginning to Admit Their Mistakes?…

Quote from the article , "Unfortunately, the school board mandated policies came into conflict with law and order. The problem of the conflicted policy -vs- legality worsened over time as the police excused much more than misdemeanor crimes. Over time this culminated in police officers falsifying documents, hiding criminal activity, lying on official police reports and even hiding stolen merchandise police retrieved from high school students."

Thanks to political correct policies and others mandated by liberals, these students needlessly died.

Grandpadave,

We'll have to agree to disagree.   I can clearly remember being forced to participate in prayers in a public school which had no meaning to me.   My parents did their job and taught us kids right from wrong.   They didn't need a church, religion or prayers to do it and all of us turned out just fine. I would no more consider forcing anyone to my way of belief or thoughts than i would allow others to do the same to me (or my kids).

I used to enjoy listening to Billy Graham. Unfortunately, today I see so many preachers who supposedly preach the words, and watch them live as millionaires, off the money given them by many who can barely put food on their own tables. And, as has been often seen ,they don't live the life they preach. Over the years I have seen churches change their rules to suit the times. My children were raised to know right from wrong and had the opportunity to choose the religion of their choice. I was raised Catholic, but had what I considered very good reasons for leaving the church.

Unfortunately, as much as it  isn't said, more people are killed worldwide today because of their varied religious beliefs than for any other single reason. I do respect others opinion.

On 2/23/2018 at 8:11 AM, Gene Howe said:

Not so, Dan. I trust you guys. :)

Went to Ace the other day. About a 20 mi. trip. Needed about $60 worth of supplies. Forgot my wallet. They told me no problem. Just pay us the next time you're in town. 

I do miss that having been raised in a similar environment. I couldn't go anywhere without people looking at me and telling me who my parents were. Need new shoes, "go to Brown's and put it on the account", on and on.

A man's word is still he bond with me, I'm just a little bit more picky about who's word I take. If it's not right on my side, I'll go out of my way to make it right.

On 2/23/2018 at 8:09 PM, p_toad said:

Grandpadave,

We'll have to agree to disagree.   I can clearly remember being forced to participate in prayers in a public school which had no meaning to me.   My parents did their job and taught us kids right from wrong.   They didn't need a church, religion or prayers to do it and all of us turned out just fine. I would no more consider forcing anyone to my way of belief or thoughts than i would allow others to do the same to me (or my kids).

Having a 12 year Catholic school education, I personally saw the religious hypocrisy on a daily basis. I have no use for organized religion, however, I have always maintained a more subdued spiritual belief. I DO believe that a spiritual component does have a affect on what a person does, says, and practices. However, I also have to agree that a persons moral compass starts at home. It has been proven, that, by the time a child is 3-4 years old their personalities have been set for the rest of their lives. I believe everyone knows the difference between right and wrong by the time they are 7-8 years old unless there is some mental or psychological deficiencies.

I don't think parents take on the oversight of this development in today's culture. Schools, TV, video games, cell phones...have become baby-sitters. After the mid 60's a great percentage of parents ignored those responsibilities. Now their children's, children have no pathway to guide their own off-spring and the cycle of deterioration continues to spiral downwards.

I blame the modern PC thinking processes for the rise in these monsters. Failure to hold juveniles responsible for their anti-social behaviors and their lame, canned, excuses that: they had a hard life, were beaten, abused, bullied, whatever, is the reasons for their acts. Sorry, I don't buy that thinking! You know the difference between right and wrong. No matter what, YOU make the decision for the anti-social/moral deviance's.

Decisions have consequences. You should be willing to accept whatever consequences result from the decisions you make. WE as a society have removed those sanctions. No fear of censure, no remorse for the behavior.

Unfortunately, society today holds people to a very diminished standard of responsibility. Today, it is always; "not my job", always "someone else's fault", and "well, I told so and so about it". Behavioral deviance should have no place in our society. Individualism is absolutely necessary, but within that, it has to include acceptable social behavior. Too often I see the tail wagging the dogs when a small cross-section of society tries to dictate their thought, actions, and beliefs on everyone else.

Archived