Friday, February 9, 2018, What’s On Your Patriot Woodworker Agenda?

Ron Dudelston

Well folks, here it is Friday, again.  My week started out well with the delivery of a pair of cherry bookcases and a very pleased interior designer and home owner.  Today, I went to my accountant to pick up my finished tax forms and gratefully didn't owe as much as I thought I would.  Sandwiched in between Monday and Friday was a very busy shop week.  I'm trying to build stock for summer shows so I built 5 folding wine tables and a slew of trivets and cutting board.  My oldest grandson (age 15) is having his bedroom re-done and asked if I'd make him a bookcase so of course,  family comes first and that project will begin tomorrow.  In the queue is an octagonal end table, a kitchen table with benches and another cherry bookcase. 

So, now is when I ask y'all, "What's on your weekend agenda?"

cleaned up the shop this morning.  it was a little messy.  even pulled and cleaned the TS blade.  gave it a good soak and scrub.  it's very happy now.

that' about it for now.  run errands tomorrow (haul water for the house), pistol match sunday.  so maybe next week i'll think about another bandsaw box out of cherry or purple heart.  might need a new bandsaw blade.  i really should buy 2, so i have a spare around.  1/4", 105" long.

Gene, right after we bought our camper in 2000 this friend suggested to my wife we need to go to Quartzsite. I says why there, its in the desert and probably not even a gas station would want to try to make a living there.. We have been down that road many times out of Phoenix and just before you get in to California there it is sitting lonely in the desert..And as wife was relating what the friend said I was getting my doubts and thinking her friend was out of her mind...We always went throught there in the summer and nothing ever along the highway...

Well we always went to Lost Wages for super bowl weekend and I told wife we would go through Quartzsite on the way to vegas. The lady said a person would start seeing campers out in the sticks way before Quatrzsite came in view and the closer we would get,  more campers would be every where.... 

Sure nuff, campers every where. Back then the BLM land would let people stay anywhere for 50 bucks, I think I was told, for a long winters stay... and the paddy wagons would come and empty your holding tanks for a few bucks so you wouldn't have to give up that important piece of the desert to another snow bird..

Things have changed now for those people trashed the desert and now are made to stay closer in to Quartzsite..

That just blew my mind for all of a sudden while driving out in the desert a mirage of campers as far as a person could see sitting wall to wall to each other....Most of those campers would display garage sale items most of the time..

The town where London Bridge is sitting, Lake Havasu City, is almost as bad. Most of those boulder covered lots close in were 30,000 or more. Slap dab in the middle of the desert. I guess after a few years in the freezing north, anything would look and feel good.

Still working on BOC bowls. Got the tenons turned off and tops done for two yesterday. Have a little project to sit my clock on with room underneath for other controls that I got the shellac on yesterday. Working this morn but hope to get to shop this afternoon. Have a couple little things I need to do and when I get to the shop just forget all about them guess I will have to start making shop reminder notes too.