MWTCA February 2018 "What's It" Project

p_toad

1 hour ago, HARO50 said:

Got one of these in a Craftsman  screwdriver set back in the 70's. They called it a cotter pin tool.  Possibly one of the first "Multi-Purpose" tools? :unsure:

Mine's a Snap-on...looks just like this...Have another similar version I bought from AutoZone they call a radiator hose removal tool

image.png.9d5c6306400796da79df74a10cf0970b.png  image.png.0f085de145cf062cde237063231ceb1a.png

On 2/8/2018 at 10:37 AM, John Morris said:

That's pretty compelling Bill, now the next step in verification? Perhaps contact the pros via email with this topic link in it, and ask them for their opinion? We always get a ton of great ideas with these MWTCA projects, but you guys never go the next step, verification! :D

So, at John's urging I reached out to several business that do caning, upholstery, weaving type work. I sent them the photo with a request for their opinion on the tools. Here is what I have, so far. I am still waiting on a couple of more replies and I had one request for better photographs of the tips from one of the professionals. John is attempting to obtain them for me/us.

Although not super compelling, I got, what I feel are positive replies as to the tools. Here is what I have gathered so far...

Dear Bill, It is possible, I would need to see a picture of each turned 1/4 turn to no more.  The tips of the tools are all I need to see.  All Best, Jeremy

The Caning Shoppe

99 Albion St. Studio 2

Somerville, MA     02144

(617) 776-0100

www.caningshoppe.com

------------

Hi Bill,

I don't recognize them,and can't really imagine how they would be used based on how I work, but it's possible. Seat weaving is something that everyone who does it, does a little differently than the others...so it may be that these tools were hand-made by someone for a specific task, such as seat weaving.

Karen

Karen Curcio <nh.chaircaner@gmail.com>

---------------

Hi William,

These do look to be canning tools.

Thank You,

Adam Thomson

Classic Furniture

508-528-6747

adam@classic-furniture.com

-----------

I the interest of FULL disclosure. This professional doesn't think that they are caning tools, but may have been used for another type of seat weaving operation(s).

Bill,

After looking at your attachment photo of tools, I do not know exactly what they are!!?!

I feel certain they are not tools used in hand caning....the only tool besides a small tapered awl; a side cutter; and wooden pegs could be a caning needle.  A caning needle has a long fine shaft (similar to a  "0" knitting needle) but with a slotted flat head so cane can be pulled, after the needle is inserted between other strands, to weave in steps 4, 5, and 6.

In weaving a porch rocker, these tools might?? have been used to align the ash splints; flat reeds; or half round reeds instead of using one's fingers...

Sorry I was not able to identify your tools....let me know if you find verification of what they are...

Dennis

mainecaning.com

I have seen the top one, or variants of it.  Just cannot place where I seen it.

These tools may have been cleaned up, but they do not look abused such as would be the case if they were in any type of mechanical environment.  No scratches/dents/dings on the handles.  I think might be something to do with a looming type of use.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:49 AM, steven newman said:

One other thought..

When spinning a thin metal plate onto a form on the lathe.....

I don't think it is for metal spinning as those tools arte usually larger and at least one end will have a point. Maybe for copper crafting tho