Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I never seen the need to have separate light duty clamps on hand...

light duty can't do do heavy work/jobs but heavy duty clamps can do light work...

 

Edited by Stick486

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stick486 said:

heavy duty clamps can do light work...

Not all the time.  Sometimes a big a** clamp just gets in the way.  Kind of like using a chain saw to do chip carving.  I guess it depends on the job at hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, PostalTom said:

Not all the time.  Sometimes a big a** clamp just gets in the way.  Kind of like using a chain saw to do chip carving.  I guess it depends on the job at hand.

 

we're talking quick clamps here...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stick486 said:

we're talking quick clamps here...

If by "quick clamps" you mean squeeze clamps, Irwin style, no I'm not.  I'm talking about the 6" and 18" clamps in the picture in the original post.  Maybe they don't have a place in your shop, and that's fine.  Everybody has their own style of working.  I have a few, and I use them frequently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PostalTom said:

If by "quick clamps" you mean squeeze clamps, Irwin style, no I'm not.  I'm talking about the 6" and 18" clamps in the picture in the original post.  Maybe they don't have a place in your shop, and that's fine.  Everybody has their own style of working.  I have a few, and I use them frequently.

 

this is a clamp thread...

just said what happened to the borrowed HF quick clamps... and why asd a heads up...

as far as the originally pictured claps go ..

 I have them also... but not from HF..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

this is a clamp thread...

just said what happened to the borrowed HF quick clamps... and why asd a heads up...

as far as the originally pictured claps go ..

 I have them also... but not from HF..

I know this is a clamp thread.  And in that spirit, I was making the point that HF clamps are not necessarily bad,  just because they are from HF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PostalTom said:

I was making the point that HF clamps are not necessarily bad

 

I said they were...

plastic pivot pins that broke....

pads fell off..

piss poor clamping...

plastic locking cam...

structure failure..

Edited by Stick486

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried one of the HF plastic squeeze clamps and blew the sides out on the first use. But, the F Styles work just fine. I've got plenty of long panel clamps, both pipes and the flat ratcheting type but, if I needed more, I'd give the HF ones a shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

I tried one of the HF plastic squeeze clamps and blew the sides out on the first use. But, the F Styles work just fine. I've got plenty of long panel clamps, both pipes and the flat ratcheting type but, if I needed more, I'd give the HF ones a shot. 

I got a big blood blister on the web of my hand between the thumb and fore finger.

Herb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started buying HF plastic spring clamps when I started building the go- cart track in 1981-82 . Lots and lots of the 14 piece sets back then, some of all sizes in each set... I guess maybe I knew how to use them for I still have most all those clamps and still have them clamped to the sides of 2 pieces of resawed lumber... .I've had 3 or 4 to break since then but they gave me credit like they said they would...so I missed the drift of the conversations but I am happy with the clamps..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Who We Are

Operation Ward 57 Challenge Coin Display Project

We are a woodworking community with an emphasis on sharing and learning the skilled craft of woodworking and all of its related disciplines. Our community is open to everyone who wishes to join us. We support our American veterans and active duty, being a veteran is not a prerequisite to join. Join us now!

Objective

Air Force Command Center Plaque

Of course just like most online woodworking communities we are centralized in the arts, crafts, and trades that are woodworking. But, we have another focus in our Patriot Woodworker community, we are the only woodworking community that was founded on our care and concern for our disabled veterans.

Volunteer

Patriot Woodworker Volunteers

The Patriot Woodworkers are an all volunteer community, from the staff and hosts who run our online woodworking community to the members who frequent our forums, you'll find volunteers in all of us. We are not on a payroll, unless you consider the spiritual rewards gained from volunteering, as compensation.

Education

Logging

One of the many projects we are working on is a wiki for our online community. A wiki is a great way for woodworkers and enthusiasts to share their knowledge to others, and to impart their knowledge for others to learn from, and utilize as well for their own benefit. We hope you'll consider being a wiki contributor.

×