My Shop

29 minutes ago, lew said:

You have really made excellent use of available space!

Basement shops pose their own unique set of challenges. If your wife tells you the project you are building won't fit up the stairs- listen to what she says! 

all needs he to do is consult w/ Gibbs....

Edited by Stick486

5 hours ago, Cal said:

Looks great Artie.  What sort of projects are you planning?

I made a corn hole bean bag game for my son, for his cookout celebrating Brianna and him buying the house. I have bought plans for making a pirates chest. One of my best friends has 3 grandchildren, oldest about 5. The pirates chest has a secret storage place in the bottom, and to open it you rotate the skull of the skull and crossbones. I figgered He’ll become the coolest grandpa around when he shows them how to open it, and it’s loaded with candy. Other than that the imagination is moving faster than the realization. Last summer was the first time I had used a router. I was making table saw blade storage drawers. I had a blast, I just wanted to make circles. The work shop has been 3 years in the planning/making. I’ve been reading forums, books, magazines nonstop. So I have a real good theoretical grasp on what to do, but haven’t actually ever DONE any of it. Rabbets, grooves, dado’s, finger joints, dovetail joints, mortising, edge banding, inlays etc. I can talk like I know something, but the rubber hasn’t met that road yet. At work I’m pretty impatient, but downstairs it’s fun, and mistakes don’t bother me (well so far. I figgered there’s a big learning curve, and I’ve reached that age where I know mistakes are par for the course). I have learned that the woodworking is really at least two projects, the making, and then the finishing. I gots no idea on the finishing, but that’s learnable too. My Grandfather made 4 mangers back around 1966. Nothing fancy, 1/4 plywood, 3 foot by 2 foot, 2-7 watt bulbs inside.  One for my Grandmother, and one for each of his kids. When my Mom passed 3 years ago I got hers. Probably one of my most prized possessions. I’m just hoping to make some stuff that lives on long after me, and is still valued. I have plans for a 3 tier craft basket, for the Missus, and some other chests, out door furniture. I have access to an almost unlimited supply of wooden pallets, so my plan is to learn how to do woodworking on the free lumber, and then when I think I can make something worthwhile, talent wise, give it a shot. 

Artie, sounds like you have some good projects in mind and a path forward.  I have used a lot of pallet lumber myself.  Pinterest can be a source of inspiration/entertainment in using pallet material.  There has also been some writeups on the hazards and such of using them.  Hope to see you here often,