PIP River Table

Gene Howe

34 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

Cal that looks like that ole nasty mesquite wood.?

Absolutamently! It has become my favorite material. 

42 minutes ago, lew said:

WOW, That's gotta be heavy!

Nice mallet ;)

The slab or the mallet?:lol:

If it's the slab, I'm guessing, at 7 lb per BF, it weighs a tad over 100 lb.

Edited by Gene Howe

Around here mesquite is king. Its everywhere. Problem is, the wood mills charge way too much for air dried wood to work with so the wood burning industry comes in and pays up to 4 dollars a cord to cut it down and haul it off. Another problem, if a person buys a cord of wood in July or August it will turn in to borer dust by the time winter gets here.The borers are so big you can hear them eating away just standing close to a stack of mesquite...

Also  the wood burning guys leaves the stumps in the ground  and all the limbs too small to turn in to fire wood laying on the ground. Its a big mess and attracts lots of those large borer monsters... From the caution light where I turn off of Tx 180 to my house is about 2 miles or I mile to the edge of the lake and all of this I mile or so was cut down last summer. Now its a big ugly mess for all the stumps have sprouted new limbs fixin to make more fire wood for a few years down the road.. No one worry's about it except the wood working guys and there ain't but a very few in this whole area....but if me or maybe more so I say, we, are the only ones that catches the migration of the borers for if any flat wood is laying around outside or small logs waiting to get put on the lathe, its too late, for we end up with holey  wood....

Another thing, there is way too much wasted wood in any given mesquite tree so most all wood mills don't mess with it.IMG_9781.JPG.053c109e8dae64483907c5b63d23d82c.JPGIMG_9782.JPG.51b147eacae4ad8288c1308d62f38c3e.JPG

The first picture is walnut wood and the other is mesquite. They were sitting outside the shop last summer fixin to be use on the lathe...you can't put them in a plastic bags if the borers are already in the wood, they like plastic too. 

I'll still take this area over where rules and regulations eat up peoples minds....

Jesse, I've cut through several logs with live borers in it. The first time was a bit of a surprise. We're a bit too far north to get any au naturale stuff so, every so often I'll head south and grab a batch of slabs. There are a few guys that process it big time. One place south of Tucson runs three big bandsaw mills and has several thousand BF for sale. Lately, I've been getting mine from a one man operation in Casa Grande. He gets his logs from cleared land and road construction sites. Much cheaper and closer, too. He has pistachio and pecan from grove clearings too. Might try some of that someday. But, I've got a lot of mesquite to cut first.

32 minutes ago, Cal said:

You might talk to @steven newman about bringing the planner to the slab... but I reckon you would (will) get a workout either way you go:D

Not sure, but I think that even Steve would balk at this task. Lots of real estate and some ornery grain:angry: