went to the VA this morning

Hate to say this, but just because they are Honda cars doesn't mean that they weren't made here. Well, as much as any GM, Ford, or Chrysler are made here.

Having driven many GSA cars over the years I learned how GSA works. Most were rotated out based on mileage. Every year GSA issued a RFP (Request For Proposal) to provide a certain amount of replacement vehicles at a bulk (fleet) price. It was sent to all of the DOMESTIC car manufactures for bid. You know the rest of the process.

I never got the same make twice in a row. I drove vehicles from all three major manufacturers.

Back in 1981 I bought a VW Rabbit. The union members saw me driving the car and commenced to harass me. "How could you buy that car? You're un-American." I finally had enough of the BS and told the loud-mouthed union leader of the group, that he should go and look at the "F" ing manufacturers plate. When he found out that the car had been manufactured in Westmoreland, PA by his union brothers, he got red in the face and never mentioned it again.

Moral: Don't judge the book by its cover...Caddies are now made in China, Fords, and GM's in Mexico, and Honda, Toyota, BMW, and a whole slew of others in the USA by union auto workers.

Not sure when foreign cars started being purchased by the U.S. Gov - I do recall any on my watch.

Hyundai does have a mfg. plant in Alabama.  Although dated, here is some info about it:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/new-thinking/built-in-usa.aspx

Their sister company has a plant building Kia's in Georgia.

Edited by Cal