Friday, Jan 12, 2018, What's on your Patriot Woodworker Agenda

John Moody

As I sit here doing this post it is snowing here in Alabama. Schools were canceled today and it has just started snowing at 1:41 pm. I guess they were expecting a blizzard. Temps yesterday were 70 and today it is 26. I forgot to turn the heat on in the shop after yesterday so I am not working in there today.

I'm still working on the shelves and the Walnut Island top along with a Cedar chest. I took a couple of weeks off from the shop after Christmas and have just started it all back. Looks like it will be a good year if the current trend continues.

Depending on the heat and the temps will determine how much I do in my shop this weekend.

So what is on your agenda this weekend? Post those pictures and details on the project. Share with us, you never know who you might inspire.

Plan is to finish the air line from the compressor into the shop, hang and wire the 2nd half of the lights in the shop, probably a little football and whatever else I can squeeze in. This is the first of 3 weeks in a row that the wife and I will be home with no traveling!

2 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Just got a call from the upholstery gal. The rifle case is ready. I'll have some pics tomorrow. 

Sunday starts a few weeks of fun building a mesquite live edge river table. 

Gene, hope you plan to post up a bunch of PIP on that table, I would sure like to follow along...

And @Grandpadave52 - glad you got your truck back.  Just in time for more 4x4 weather!

Working on a pair of cherry bookcases.  Yesterday I visited heaven on earth.   A friend is administrator to an estate of a gentleman that had no family and loved to saw wood.  I walked into a pair of barns that had probably 20,000 board feet of PSWO, QSWO, beech, cherry and walnut lumber.   It'll all be going up at auction.  There was his whole shop plus a brand new, never used $21,000 Woodmizer sawmill.   

Temp dropped from 35 this morning when I went to barber to 27 now. Worked on replacing the wire shelf unit in my closet with a wider and taller unit to hold more stuff including shooting gear. Using left over from church pew project. Here is the beginning . IMG_1400.JPG.c90019c40c12c07107f69d3aab3b4fb5.JPGThis piece is 12 feet longIMG_1401.JPG.572cbadf7f5be715f2e41c565a5d394e.JPGIMG_1402.JPG.7feb7ba8e357901dc7d0a65b844acd5f.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

Edited by Gerald

11 hours ago, Ron Dudelston said:

Working on a pair of cherry bookcases.  Yesterday I visited heaven on earth.   A friend is administrator to an estate of a gentleman that had no family and loved to saw wood.  I walked into a pair of barns that had probably 20,000 board feet of PSWO, QSWO, beech, cherry and walnut lumber.   It'll all be going up at auction.  There was his whole shop plus a brand new, never used $21,000 Woodmizer sawmill.   

Heaven on earth is right. Ya gonna get some of that lumber? 

14 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Cabin fever and breakdown catastrophes the past couple weeks led to some pent up rust hunting while I was out today...not much out there, but I did find a 2' Stanley (Sweetheart) wood/brass folding rule. "Made in the USA"; also in red letters Warranted & Boxwood..only markings I can make out so far...it's been used hard, but hey, $4.28 with tax...

That is my kind of find and a very good price. Was it a four fold or a two fold? Did it have a number? Where is the picture?

10 hours ago, Gerald said:

Temp dropped from 35 this morning when I went to barber to 27 now. Worked on replacing the wire shelf unit in my closet with a wider and taller unit to hold more stuff including shooting gear. Using left over from church pew project. Here is the beginning . IMG_1400.JPG.c90019c40c12c07107f69d3aab3b4fb5.JPGThis piece is 12 feet longIMG_1401.JPG.572cbadf7f5be715f2e41c565a5d394e.JPGIMG_1402.JPG.7feb7ba8e357901dc7d0a65b844acd5f.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

Nice project, I made a few things from some old church pews just like those. I still have one more 12' section.