I want to build a Thien baffle, but...

In rebuilding my shop after move, I intended to build a Thien baffle for my Rigid shopvac. Part of it is the function (preserve the good VF6000 filter I put in the vac, and also slightly easier to empty/swap buckets that empty the vac)... but part of it is the intangible joy of the build and pushing the limits of it's effectiveness.

Then I stumbled into this cyclone for $16. I don't know how effective it is, and I'm never thrilled about ordering from China... but at that price it's very hard to justify building my own Thien baffle until all my other shop wannabuilds are done.

Has anyone tried this, or other clone cyclones? All opinions welcome.

What I really want is a 3D printer and the challenge of creating a cyclone that way :). But alas, building a 3D printer will wait for the completion of simpler devices. And I definitely want to build vs. buy. That's too much fun to miss.

1 hour ago, AshleyJ said:

What I really want is a 3D printer and the challenge of creating a cyclone that way :). But alas, building a 3D printer will wait for the completion of simpler devices. And I definitely want to build vs. buy. That's too much fun to miss.

That would be quite a 3D printer to be able to create something that big

I guess I have to think you're only out $16 if the China thing is crap. For that price, I wouldn't worry about warranty, returns or anything else. Of course, warranty is seldom a deal breaker for me anyway....but that deosn't mean I would order one...the Thein baffle is a good piece of design and might be fun to build.

2 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I guess I have to think you're only out $16 if the China thing is crap. For that price, I wouldn't worry about warranty, returns or anything else. Of course, warranty is seldom a deal breaker for me anyway....but that deosn't mean I would order one...the Thein baffle is a good piece of design and might be fun to build.

if that's your opinion of 16$... send it to me as a freebie...

and let's compute some extra in there to cover intangible costs...

I have got one of those, it was given to me by a engineer friend who hooked 2 in tandem to experiment how they would work from the HF dust collector to the Wynn filters,because he was getting too much fine dust into the filters plugging them up. He noted that one captured more dust than the other, but very little got to the filters. after he eliminated one of the little cyclones,the one he gave me, the other one seemed to double its capture of dust, in any event very little was accumulated in the Wynn filters.

He paid $15 for each one direct ship, took 10 days to get.

Herb

I have yet to hook mine up, I want to build a separate system with the shop vac for my sanding, it is on the "to DO' list.

Herb

The mini cyclones I could see tipping over fairly easily because they are so tall after placing on top of a 5 gal bucket, and the vac hose attaches on top of all that. I build my own 5 gal. and larger separators, and give them a Thien style dust separation plate inside. I couldn't be happier with, and more proud of the separator that I added to a Delta 50-760 Dust Collector, making it now a two stage DC.  

Edited by CharlieL