New 5" Round Orbital Sanders

Today I was looking at new orbital sanders with the 5" round disc. They all seem to use hook and loop paper which I haven't had good luck with on a older sander, the paper just doesn't stick well. I prefer the sticky back paper with no holes, then I can cut my own discs as I need them from a roll of sheet sticky back sandpaper.

30 minutes ago, Larry Jenkins said:

I have had a Porter Cable 5" random orbit sander for many years.  The secret to keeping the Hook and Loop pad working well is to clean off the pad very good before changing pads.  A cloth and some compressed air works well.  Stay away from the stick ons.

Larry

I haven't used the H&L sander much, maybe it's dirty. I've had it for several years. I'll try what you suggest. I'll also see if a PSA pad is available for the sander. I'm guessing that they may not be available for the newer sanders. Dust collection would be nice, but I could see it being pretty awkward in some cases with a shop vac hose attached to it. It's not a huge deal for me if I have it or not, I have sanded quite a bit of stuff outside such as a 135 ft of fence, and a few decks with railing.

Edited by CharlieL

If the hook and loop isn't staying put, then it is worn out. Although more expensive in the long run I prefer H/L over PSA. H/L stay put longer and holds better. However, I keep a H/L to PSA adapter in my bag with my Bosch 5" for those times when you need to use those PSA discs.

Here are some links for adapters. They are all over the place and cheap...just take the time to do a search.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-5-in-Random-Orbital-Universal-Conversion-Sanding-Disc-DCP050CONH01G/202830787

https://thesandingglove.com/Velcro-To-PSA-Conversion-Discs.asp

They are, also, available PSA to H/L.

Why would you cut your own discs out of sticky backed sandpaper? Cost wise you can find quality discs all over the place and there is no wasted material from cutting them yourself. In the long run it is just not cost effective to make your own.

1 hour ago, schnewj said:

Why would you cut your own discs out of sticky backed sandpaper? Cost wise you can find quality discs all over the place and there is no wasted material from cutting them yourself. In the long run it is just not cost effective to make your own.

I guess I could explain my madness better. The sticky back paper that I use comes in a 5" wide roll, so there is very little waste after cutting a disc. The older I get the more stubborn I get in my ways, plus from many years of experience with sanding I know what works best for me which are the PSA pads. If the H&L pad is wore out already, then I know that the PSA pads last a lot longer for me.

Edited by CharlieL

you say...

10 hours ago, CharlieL said:

I haven't used the H&L sander much, maybe it's dirty. I've had it for several years.

then you say...

10 hours ago, CharlieL said:

I have sanded quite a bit of stuff outside such as a 135 ft of fence, and a few decks with railing.

you solved your issue Charlie...

the pad is either very dirty or worn out...

FWIW..

PSA pad rims wear very very easily...

as far as the H&L being inadequate.. I don't think that's the issue...

Edited by Stick486

19 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

you say...

then you say...

you solved your issue Charlie...

the pad is either very dirty or worn out...

Sorry to have confused you Stick, and probably others. I have two orbital sanders that I have used over the years. One is a DeWalt with the 5" round H&L pad. I replaced the H&L pad on it with a PSA pad because I was so disappointed with the H&L pad almost immediately. I also have a Porter-Cable PC330 square pad PSA sander, which is why I have roles of 5" PSA paper . The reason that I brought up this post is that I'm looking at a brand new DeWalt 5" round H&L sander that someone has in the local classified ads at a really good price, and will probably brave the frigid temperatures outside today to go purchase it. It all led me to look up sanders on the net to get prices and read reviews, which is when I discovered that most if not all the quality brand name sanders are H&L. I've been mostly a hobbyist woodworker for about 30 years, it's not my first rodeo with sanders.

Edited by CharlieL

40 minutes ago, CharlieL said:

I guess I could explain my madness better. The sticky back paper that I use comes in a 5" wide roll, so there is very little waste after cutting a disc. The older I get the more stubborn I get in my ways, plus from many years of experience with sanding I know what works best for me which are the PSA pads. If the H&L pad is wore out already, then I know that the PSA pads last a lot longer for me.

Huh! Sorry I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Wore out is wore out.

The pads DO wear out. Again, I see the edges on the PSA pads wearing a LOT quicker then the H/L pads.

As for the discs, PSA discs will not last as long as H/L. PSA will tear up on the edges and give away long before H/L. I will go through more sander pads using PSA then I do with the H/L. I just changed the pad on my DA because the edges were chewed up...just the nature of the business. The best advantage is that, I can swap grits on my H/L and then back, which means that the H/L discs have more longevity. Once you tear a PSA off of the pad it's toast.

Edited by schnewj

8 minutes ago, schnewj said:

Huh! Sorry I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Wore out is wore out.

The pads DO wear out. Again, I see the edges on the PSA pads wearing a LOT quicker then the H/L pads.

As for the discs, PSA discs will not last as long as H/L. PSA will tear up on the edges and give away long before H/L. I will go through more sander pads using PSA then I do with the H/L. I just changed the pad on my DA because the edges were chewed up...just the nature of the business. The best advantage is that, I can swap grits on my H/L and then back, which means that the H/L pads have more longevity. Once you tear a PSA off of the pad it's toast.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree for whatever reasons. Perhaps we do different types of projects ? I don't know, but I do know what works for ME, and what hasn't. What I'm trying to say is that I like PSA, and wish that more orbital sanders came with it.

Edited by CharlieL

1 minute ago, CharlieL said:

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree for whatever reasons. Perhaps we do different types of projects ? I don't know, but I do know what works for ME, and what hasn't. What I'm trying to say is that I like PSA, and wish that more orbital sanders came with it.

Again, just buy a sander with a H/L, add a H/L to PSA adapter and use the PSA to your hearts content. Good luck trying to find a sander with a PSA pad. Most come with H/L only. I'm not saying you won't find one, just that it won't be easy.

1 minute ago, schnewj said:

Again, just buy a sander with a H/L, add a H/L to PSA adapter and use the PSA to your hearts content. Good luck trying to find a sander with a PSA pad. Most come with H/L only. I'm not saying you won't find one, just that it won't be easy.

If I buy the sander today that has the round 5" H&L pad I will definitely look into your adapter suggestion, or see if a older model DeWalt PSA pad will work. Maybe I'm dreaming, but hopefully they didn't change the bolt pattern in the pad over the years.

8 minutes ago, CharlieL said:

If I buy the sander today that has the round 5" H&L pad I will definitely look into your adapter suggestion, or see if a older model DeWalt PSA pad will work. Maybe I'm dreaming, but hopefully they didn't change the bolt pattern in the pad over the years.

...or just go and buy a replacement pad directly from the manufacturer and replace the H/L with a PSA.