Thinking About Moving to Chicago...

schnewj

With all of the shooting tragedies that have been occurring, I went looking for some factual statistics to get an overall picture of what is really going on. I hate to relying on the news media to "cherry pick" the information to feed me. Knowing that Chicago has a notorious shooting problem I did a search for some actual statistics for that fine city. I came across this site, which appears to be pretty accurate and claims to draw its statistics directly from local Chicago sources.

It is really interesting, that, NOBODY discusses the elephant in the room on the national news. The Las Vegas and Texas church shootings are real tragedies, in addition, the latest shootings in California, also. However, take a look at the website and gain some real perspective on just what a paradise Chicago is compared to those horrors.

I guarantee if you take the time to actually look at the facts on the page it will; open your eyes, make you laugh, and make you cry at the same time. My favorites are: "Shot-In-The-arse-O-Meter", and the "Shot-In-The-Junk-O-Meter". I, know, I'm a sick puppy...but then I do drink my coffee black!

Anyway, enjoy the facts.

http://heyjackass.com/

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I need to correct your punctuation: Thinking About Moving to Chicago?

I lived in the 'burbs for a couple of years.  Hated, hated the traffic and drivers.   A few years later, my brother lived near there, too.   He was driving back from Ohio one time and when he got home he discovered that sound he heard driving on the expressway through the south side was not a piece a road trash, but a bullet that had gone through his rear quarter panel.

BTW, I had to learn new terminology, I used to call them freeways, and had to change to expressway because of all the tolls.

7 hours ago, schnewj said:

Only 10 deaths attributed to the cops for all of 2017 and yet all we hear is how murderous the police are...

Almost as many people killed and more wounded by gunfire in the last two weeks in Chicago, then the Las Vegas tragedy.

Well I have some theories why you never hear about this on main Lame Stream media, but probably should not go in to detail on this site....suffice it to say a former president proclaims Chitown as home.

Traveled to/through that area (south side and western burbs) nearly every week during the last 4 years when I was still working FT. Most tense years of my career between the insane traffic and shootings. One of my favorite Italian restaurants (family owned) closed their doors after a double-homicide on the premise. It was about a football field length away from the hotel where I always stayed. This area was supposed to be safe & secure.

3 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

It's astounding and dismaying how many murders in Chicago remain unsolved. 

The ratio may be similar to other large cities, though. Having studiously avoided cities, I wouldn't know.

I'm willing to bet that with similar demographics in other cities, that, the homicide closure rate is pretty close to Chicago's 12.5% rate. There is a whole culture of not "ratting", which means that the police constantly are running into brick walls. With no evidence there are no closures.

Verifiable facts are hard to find, but here are a couple of examples that I found from opposite sides of the country...

Los Angeles clears about 54% http://www.dailynews.com/2015/01/23/homicides-of-young-latino-men-twice-as-likely-to-go-unsolved-in-la-county-analysis-shows/

Baltimore clears about 49% http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/investigations/bs-md-ci-baltimore-homicide-clearance-rate-20170422-story.html

You are three times more likely to be the victim of a homicide 0.015% in Miami as the rest of the state at 0.005% (sorry, I didn't save the link).

Even with a ~50% homicide closure rate the fact still remains that ~50% of murderers are never brought to justice. How many are then responsible for multiple homicides?

You can do your own research...I just find it sad that the news always makes a big deal out of the individual occurrences and never addresses the overall problems. I guess if they did, then people would wake up and see the real (whole) picture instead of just the one little slice.

33 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

It's astounding and dismaying how many murders in Chicago remain unsolved. 

I'm sure it must be the Men in Blue who are somehow to blame.  They are supposed ignore the fact that the general population is mostly unwilling to help and refuse to supply information and somehow come up with a case without anything to go on. 

It took a long time to develop the culture that makes our men and women in blue the enemy. For the purposes of this discussion, how that came about is irrelevant. But, that culture needs to be changed before progress in reducing the number of un prosecuted murders will occur. How that can happen, God only knows.

Maybe, a good start would be to make some major positive changes in Chicago and Cook county's miserably inadequate schools. 

43 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

It took a long time to develop the culture that makes our men and women in blue the enemy. For the purposes of this discussion, how that came about is irrelevant. But, that culture needs to be changed before progress in reducing the number of un prosecuted murders will occur. How that can happen, God only knows.

Maybe, a good start would be to make some major positive changes in Chicago and Cook county's miserably inadequate schools. 

Good schooling starts at home.  The parents need to show interest in their kids education as the first step.  Too many leave it to the schools to raise, feed and teach their kids.   

5 hours ago, kmealy said:

I think I need to correct your punctuation: Thinking About Moving to Chicago?

I lived in the 'burbs for a couple of years.  Hated, hated the traffic and drivers.   A few years later, my brother lived near there, too.   He was driving back from Ohio one time and when he got home he discovered that sound he heard driving on the expressway through the south side was not a piece a road trash, but a bullet that had gone through his rear quarter panel.

BTW, I had to learn new terminology, I used to call them freeways, and had to change to expressway because of all the tolls.

I had to do the same when I moved to New Orleans. A "median" is now a "neutral ground". 

I was told, that, "in the day" when the Italians (who lived on one side of a divided street) had to deal with the Irish (who lived on the other side of the same street) had to co-exist (do I insert all of those cheesy symbols here?) the median became, a "neutral area" stray to the other side and it was game on.

1 hour ago, schnewj said:

Whew! Thank you for the intervention, Fred.

I've thought a little more about this. Being a white male, I'm probably safe. I only have a 2.8% chance of being murdered. Then again, if I stay where I am the odds improve to 0.005%. Hmmm, what to do, what to do?

Archived