planer roller assembly

Buy some rollers and build a frame over top of the planer.

https://www.ultimationinc.com/replacement-parts/buy-rollers/roller-14-10bf/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0o2r6_ye1wIV11uGCh1-MAKnEAQYBSABEgKqIfD_BwE

Scroll down the page for more sizes.

Edited by HandyDan

I would think it might be easier to buy what you want in a new machine. I can envision spending many hours and some money  and  may still never get to where you would like to go with your thoughts. Especially if you were thinking of having some type of spring loaded rollers. In your thinking, don't forget how hard it is to adjust for no snipe.

Dan your site with the 10" roller listed for 5.95 seems to me to very cheaply priced. Not a good sealed bearing but hey I built an out feed table for my table saw with many home built roller bearings sets and I got way more invested than that per each...I think.

1 hour ago, Smallpatch said:

I would think it might be easier to buy what you want in a new machine. I can envision spending many hours and some money  and  may still never get to where you would like to go with your thoughts. Especially if you were thinking of having some type of spring loaded rollers. In your thinking, don't forget how hard it is to adjust for no snipe.

Dan your site with the 10" roller listed for 5.95 seems to me to very cheaply priced. Not a good sealed bearing but hey I built an out feed table for my table saw with many home built roller bearings sets and I got way more invested than that per each...I think.

Jess, he's looking for rollers on top of the machine.  After the board is run through the machine he wants to lay it on top and roll/balance back to the infeed side for another pass.  Note the top rollers on the Grizzly.

Edited by HandyDan

Okay Dan. That's mo better to make for it won't have to be that accurate.IMG_9536.JPG.505564ebd5846bb2bce14aa2efe5cfc1.JPGIMG_9538.JPG.601b454a082c0192792819f307c52857.JPGIMG_9539.JPG.9a1fd7091e6d9d75cd5d79cf7792c8df.JPG

I used this type of ball bearing for it was the cheaper of the bearings I sold at the go-cart track for the wheels.

Its not a fully sealed bearing but good enough for indoor use.

The bearings are 5/8" ID and 1 3/8" OD. I found the best pvc with an ID to hold the bearings is some grey electrical pvc. All the white, water pvc the bearings would fall out.

I used 1" square tubing for the base to hold the rollers with wood strips on each side with 5/8" holkes not all the way through as the bearing caps. There are thin wall and thick wall 1" square tubing from metal suppliers. Thick would not bend so easy.

The axles for the bearings I used second hand 5/8" oil field sucker rod.  The bearings have a lip  to keep the bearing from going in too far which this one here is by far cheaper than a precision fully sealed bearing but where mo moisture will be there to contend with. Ace hardware or cheaper, a bearing supply store.

I don't think it would be too hard to build a temporary roller rack, one that when not in use stored some where else.

16 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

The bearings are 5/8" ID and 1 3/8" OD. I found the best pvc with an ID to hold the bearings is some grey electrical pvc. All the white, water pvc the bearings would fall out.

With an od of 1 3/8 the pipe you used was 1 1/2 Electrical PVC? Do you know where I can source some of these bearings? Are they a common size?

stick a few of these on top of your planer...

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/work-roller-ball-bearing-1-1

07B09.0.jpg.e9f9d3194734d47eb1d134be2092b5b1.jpg

they also come in strips...

if the handle becomes an issue change it to a folding handle..

168.jpg

need more height put a hat channel or a piece of square or rectangular aluminum stock under them...

this stuff comes w/ flanges too...

stand the rectangular stock on edge for additional height...

look to your unistrut and all of it's hardware for mounting options...

build a simple ''U'' over the top the machine and add a roller to the top of that..

EAM-2884-illustration.jpg$_3.JPG?set_id=2 0957108.jpg&f=1

add just a roller stand head to the top of the planer...

9670182-z.jpgportamate_18_adjustable_tri-functional_pedestal_roller_stand_with_roller_balls_2-pack_pm-5083t_10_.jpg&f=1

make/mount/modify the upper part of a  roller stand to fit to the side of the planer...

bracket mount a roller to the top of the planer...

30-300-462x392.jpg.079903a28b101835b0be30c997d00f01.jpg

Edited by Stick486

I took a bearing with me when I sized the pvc. The companies have a tendency to go smaller on the amount of material used in construction of anything so was the reason I made a bunch of rollers extra.

I was thinking you wanted a longer surface to set the wood on but if you are wanting what the grizzly has just use 4  L brackets with rods sticking through or the flat mounted round ball on top. Myself, I would want a larger surface for I take my planer out on the driveway and put it up 3 1/2' on a table so I don't have to bend over when planning and a larger surface might keep the wood from falling off and causing problems. My wood is always about belt high as I take it out of one end to the other side of the planer so for me to put the wood up on top of the planer would be too much extra effort. I don't have to mess with the shavings for I live in the country so I let em fly...

Edited by Smallpatch