If you like squirrels......

Joeb41

Hate squirrels.   My former neighbor, the crazy squirrel lady, had about 10 feeders out for them and filled a couple times a day.   In addition the pigeons, deer, starlings, chipmunks, coons, and other nuisances.   She'd drive to GA to buy hundreds of pounds of pecans at a time and had a truck that delivered other bird feed.  

I tried growing peaches but they'd start on them about a month before they'd ripen and clean them all out in about 3 weeks.   Add to that the blue jays, possums, coons and other critters.

Since moving from the suburbs to the country, we are way less bothered by these pests.  We do have some hawks and coyotes that help..

I'd secretly shoot a few during season.

(BTW, I've read squirrels can't digest peanuts).

41797_375444533539_8873_n.jpg.146248210aec79137995a4fb3966161c.jpg

There are so many squirrels here and many people feed them. I have a friend that live traps them and last summer he got 58. Same with rabbits, huge population and they help feed the hawks and Owls, coyotes and an occasional fox. We've had a bear within a mile and a mountain lion within 4 miles. Those two come in the area on the green trails, don't stay, gone the next morning. Our community has 138 thousand people and is still growing and growing.

20 hours ago, Charles Nicholls said:

I intentionally put out sunflower seeds for the squirrels because I like seeing them. The area where i live is so city like, that it's nice to have some nature around.

All things in moderation.    In addition Crazy Squirrel Lady was a wildlife rehabber and she'd treat and release in the yard.   Many of them had no fear of humans and I'd have birds try to land on my shoulder from time to time.

8 hours ago, Warped & Twisted said:

Squirrels are very destructive devils. I have many here where I live. I have to dispose of 30-50 of them every a year. Been doing this for 40 years and they just keep coming back. One of the worst things they do is get in your attic and chew on wiring. Houses have been burnt down because of this. They are pack rats also . A numbers of years ago I was doing some work up in my attic. I found tons of junk they had hidden up there. They like to pull insulation out of you attic and run off into the woods with it. I presume they put in their nest. They like to chew on cardboard boxes and even on my stock of link belts. I've found a hole chewed through my front door after coming home from a two week vacation.

I hope you paid attention because there is a test.

Do you think I like Squirrels.  A yes or no will suffice.

I'm guessing no.   I'd also get a bunch of chip & dale under  my patio.   My neighbor had to re-do his whole patio twice and his garden shed (where CSL kept all the food) once.   Say hello to Mr. TomCat Rat Trap, chippie.