Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Awesome update Fred...happy to hear there's light at the end of the tunnel!:)

Yep, bought the vapor barrier primer for the ceiling and the S-I-L thinks he can borrow a sprayer form work and spray it. I'll paint the walls. The drywall guys covered the floor with rosin paper, so I asked them to leave it behind (they expected me to ask, apparently). After the paint I'll start on the electrical fixtures and i just ordered the furnace today. I want to get it in before we blow the ceiling insulation...so I'm not trying to put the vent pipe in while it's insulated.

Almost time to break open the champagne Fred. :wub::D

Well, they finished Friday. It took one guy about 5 hours to sand! I've spent 5 hours on 1 4x8 piece that I've done. I've started putting the outlets and a couple of switches back in. I guess I didn't realize that drywall guys don't care much about electricians. The electrical boxes are a mess, and it's really slow going to clean and in some cases re align them. But the drywall job they did was awesome. I'll get some more pics after the first coat of primer.

Only one task to be completed...the ceiling isn't insulated yet. I do have heat however (got the furnace installed and plumbed in) so i can warm the room up for short periods to do some things (getting the DC duct work up is the first priority for me). But for now, the holidays and some other stuff have me sidetracked so I doubt I'll be doing much until after the first of the year. As for the ceiling insulation, I though I had (yet another) contractor to do the job, and he hasn't shown up. I called them yesterday and asked if I should go to "plan B", they're supposed to call me back. Plan B would be me doing it, and I'm too old for that...but it has to be done.

10 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Only one task to be completed...the ceiling isn't insulated yet. I do have heat however (got the furnace installed and plumbed in) so i can warm the room up for short periods to do some things (getting the DC duct work up is the first priority for me). But for now, the holidays and some other stuff have me sidetracked so I doubt I'll be doing much until after the first of the year. As for the ceiling insulation, I though I had (yet another) contractor to do the job, and he hasn't shown up. I called them yesterday and asked if I should go to "plan B", they're supposed to call me back. Plan B would be me doing it, and I'm too old for that...but it has to be done.

Isn't that a 2-man job, other wise a lot of up and down ladders. If I lived closer I would come over and give you a hand. Don't like insulation down my neck, but like you say someone has to do it. Maybe after the holidays when the bills start coming in they will be beating down your door wanting to do it.

Herb

Yeah, the 2 man part is the other part of the problem. Our kids all have such hectic work schedules I can't get the time for them to help. The last 2 times I did this I had my grandson feed the hopper while I sprayed. I'm giving the contractor today to call me back, then it's off the somewhere to at least order the insulation; I'll figure out how to get it to the attic later. This will be cellulose, so it's less itchy bit a lot more dirty.

I want a higher r value than I can get with batts. The batts lay between the rafters, leaving the area above the rafters (which are trusses in my case) exposed. The blown in fills everything and covers that exposed space. Besides that it's a lot easier to just pump the stuff up there than to carry it up, unpack it and lay it out. At least it seems like it to me.

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr

8 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I want a higher r value than I can get with batts. The batts lay between the rafters, leaving the area above the rafters (which are trusses in my case) exposed. The blown in fills everything and covers that exposed space. Besides that it's a lot easier to just pump the stuff up there than to carry it up, unpack it and lay it out. At least it seems like it to me.

I gotcha now Fred.  I think the trusses would be a deal breaker for me also.

Hope you can get this done soon,

Cal

4 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

I did mine with 2 layers of bats. One between the trusses and the other 6" going the opposite direction on top. Both had fiber glass only , no moisture barrier, always stays fluffy, no settlement, just lay in place.

Herb