What's in your wallet, or apron, or bag?

kmealy

I've been doing a lot of work with a friend and surprised at how different our work aprons / tool belts are with contents.

What's in yours?

I use an apron that my wife has made (I think I"m on my third one).  Holds my stuff and keeps my shirt and pants somewhat clean.

Contents:

• Pencils, 0.5 mm mechanical, #2 standard, and carpenter's flat
  • Ruler - 2 six inch rulers.  Don't ask me why I have two, they just fit in the same pocket
  • Calipers - 2 four-inch calipers, ditto
  • Sharpie
  • Chalk (rough layout)
  • 16' tape measure
  • 6" mechanic's square
  • Utility knife
  • Eraser (to remove layout lines, not to correct mistakes:rolleyes: )

I used to keep a multi-tip screwdriver, but found it kept poking through the pockets.  Sometimes I keep a can opener for finish/paint.

Edited by Ron Dudelston
tags added

I have both tool belt and apron.

I really don't keep anything in the apron (my sister made it) except the dust collector remote clipped to the neck strap. It is so full of glue it practically stands up by itself.

The tool belt always has a tape measure, utility knife, speed square, extra pencils. The pockets get filled with whatever is needed for the particular job.

I wore a leather apron for years,and went to a saddle shop and had them make an adjustable suspenders that formed an "H" in the back and front,took all the weight off the waist and put it on the shoulders.When those bags were full of tools and nails they must have weighed 30#. And climbing ladders and scaffold abused my hips. On the inside work we were required to look like carpenters and wear white overalls , I got mine from Penny's. They relaxed that requirement years later, but I still wore mine because I liked them and they had padded knees.

Herb

My apron was a gift. It's a thing of beauty. It's even got my name stitched on it. I've worn it once. It looks nice hanging on the wall. 

The only thing in my jean pockets is a knife. Every small tool that would fit in a pocket or apron pouch is somewhere on the bench...floor...wall...saw table, etc. Efficiency is not high on my list. :blush: 

58 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

My apron was a gift. It's a thing of beauty. It's even got my name stitched on it. I've worn it once. It looks nice hanging on the wall. 

The only thing in my jean pockets is a knife. Every small tool that would fit in a pocket or apron pouch is somewhere on the bench...floor...wall...saw table, etc. Efficiency is not high on my list. :blush: 

I can hook you up with a guy --- he can find a screw in the size he wants in 14 seconds.

I will wear the LJs Apron....nothing in the pockets but shavings...

Working as a Carpenter.....wide belt, nailbag on each hip (FULL !) and a tape holder......sometimes it weighed almost 50 pounds!    Used the suspenders, rarely fastened the belt, unless I was climbing around.  Then wearing a climbing harnass  over that....was glad when we were placing the concrete.....didn't need all that stuff on my shoulders.

One of the old nailbags has been cut up, and used on the leg vise.    I have a tool tote of pine, IF I need to carry tools to an outside job.  

20 minutes ago, kmealy said:

I can hook you up with a guy --- he can find a screw in the size he wants in 14 seconds.

So I've heard. Thanks for the offer, though I might not be able to tolerate the tutor long enough to learn anything.:o

Yeah, Steve. Those are nice aprons. Reminds me of some good times with eddie and the gang. Kinda hate to get glue all over it.

Your reuse of the nail bag reminds me of my reuse of the upper pockets of an old pair of bibs. Quite handy. 

Edited by Gene Howe

Started out using an apron w/ pockets in the shop, a sliver of wood found its way under my finger nail and that pretty much ended the apron.

I do wear a nail apron at work for small screws & such. Don't wear a tool belt, too hard on the hips, I just carry the powerhouse five in my pockets.

adjustable pliers

linesman pliers

flat &

philips screwdriver

6' stick rule

my apron:

16 foot tape measure

box cutter

6" odd job tool

4 pencils (it varies, sometimes i put one down and the i'm down to 3)

sharpie

compass

sawdust (in the pockets)(maybe it's time to clean them again)

that's it.  everything else is somewhere in the shop, normally where it belongs.

I own three carpenters' aprons, but only wear one if I have to climb to an awkward location, or need a LOT of nails/screws. The only time in the last 6-7 years I've actually put one on was when I built a 48' long fence (8' high) at the garden center to hide the empty racks from view. My shop is so small, everything is just an arm's-length away! ;)

John

Oh, almost forgot.... I have a couple of heavy leather aprons for turning. No pockets, though.