5 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

The hand is good being dark for there is no second guessing where it's at.Herb this is all tied together rather nice. Kinda pleasing to the eyes.. Too bad you couldn't have found wood with more knots and flaws or none at all.  You asked!!!!

Thanks Patch, this is a trial run to iron out mistakes, I plan on making several for presents and want to get it right before I go any further. I had it all glued together and was routing the outer profile when it blew out the knot and I had to dummy it in.

Herb

Herb the most important part of you project is what did you think when you finished it...Hey when I finish something and I am pleased how it turned out...........Thats it right there. I have to please me first of all. Wife and everybody else don't know squat....And after looking things over I know if I did this and that and changed whatever it MIGHT look better or probably would look worse but I always consider the first one is the goat. 

4 hours ago, Chips N Dust said:

I think it looks good. My only suggestion is the same style hand, but maybe a little narrower. That is my .02

25 minutes ago, clhyer said:

I like it Herb.  I might suggest a smaller hand, though.  This one doesn't point to the day of the week, it points to the open space border.

Cal

Since you asked Herb...I agree with Kelly & Cal...to me the hand just seems to be disproportional to the face and the lettering. A thinner body and shorter wold be less overwhelming IMO...if you could find one with a brass or bronze border &/or stripe in the center would complement the clock face too I think...

The only other thing which seems out of place to me is all of those days...I just don't seem to recall all those days in one week.:rolleyes::lol:

Anyways, very cool idea and great overall design. It's going to make great gifts this year!!

Edited by Grandpadave52

1 hour ago, HandyDan said:

I'm betting he used his new Miter Set Jig.

Glad to see you're putting that jig to use, Herb...Excellent quality work as always (even for a mock-up).

I have to agree with everyone on the hand...too overwhelming and a distraction. I would scale it down, just a tad.

I'm not personally impressed by the background colors...the white is always clean and makes thing pop, but a brighter contrasting color to the white border would be more pleasing to my eye. In addition, I don't care for the medieval/Old German script. I find it hard to read. All of it is personal preference, though.

Where did you find the background? I've been thinking of making one of these for my Mother. She's 96 and no longer remembers what day it is.

unless it's just crap, or dangerous the way it was built, i've never criticized another's work.  if you like it, or the person you made it for likes it, that's all that matters.  my view on a project is immaterial.

would i copy it?  maybe.  depends on what i want in my house.  my style is not your style.  and that's ok.  if it was, it would be a very boring world. if someone asked me to make a version of that for their den, i might.  but it would be my own take on things.  it would not be an exact copy of someone else's work.  show some imagination, some creativity, do it different from the herd.  

that said, i like it.  it's different, it's nicely executed, and shows good craftsmanship and good creativity.  not something you will find at Ikea or Wallymart.

keep doing what you are doing.

15 minutes ago, DAB said:

that said, i like it.  it's different, it's nicely executed, and shows good craftsmanship and good creativity.  not something you will find at Ikea or Wallymart.

keep doing what you are doing.

Well said! But personally, I agree with the "Smaller Hand" crowd. :blush:

John

I doubt if he would have had any critics at all if he had not invited it to start with. A person could show that clock to 50 people and ask them to make one and there would be 50 different versions of that clock.. On second thought only 2 maybe would have made one, the other 46 would have been too lazy..