2017 Total Eclipse, August 21st

Chips N Dust

Not wanting to hi-jack the other thread on the Eclipse, but how many of the TPW's members are in/near the Path of Totality?

How many of you will travel to the Path of Totality?

My wife and I are thinking about going to the Path of Totality, but not sure yet. ODOT has been sending out lots of emails about it, saying they are expecting about 1 million people to show up for the eclipse. I am torn between going to see and be part of this very rare event and staying away from the hoards of idiot tourists.

Here is great link with lots of info about the Eclipse:

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen one once. I thought I might photograph this one, but the filter for my camera was about $170. Struck me as pretty expensive for such a limited use item. We aren't in the path of totality,  so it's just as well.

grain. The resulting wood displays a cathedral pattern on the face of the board.">PS, just checked using knothole's link...I'm an 86%er.

59 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

A lot of people will probably make a day trip out of it since the kids are already out of school.  It is only a one day thing I believe.

From what I have researched, the "darkness" will last about 2 minutes, give or take. The total event is about 4 to 6 hours. The day trip idea sounds nice, but from what I gather hearing about the hoards coming to watch, you may get stuck somewhere in the traffic and miss it unless you plan ahead and get there ahead of time.

Not sure how far/long you would have to drive Kelly to fully experience. Most anywhere either side of the path center-line would get you the experience w/o possibly being subjected to throngs of people. Another option would be if you know anyone or have family in that band. Of course the factor for anyone that day will be the weather and cloud cover.

For me, it's ~170 to Paducah, KY; equates to ~4 hour drive one way as there is no good route to Paducah. Evansville, IN is just on the outer fringe of the path and just across the Ohio River from Paducah. I've seen a couple in my lifetime so will be content on the 91.4-91.6% depending on where I might be in the county. Oldest grand-daughter came home from somewhere the other day with a handful of the special viewing glasses someone was giving out. Welding helmet works too but kinda' freaks people out.:P

2 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Not sure how far/long you would have to drive Kelly to fully experience. Most anywhere either side of the path center-line would get you the experience w/o possibly being subjected to throngs of people. Another option would be if you know anyone or have family in that band. Of course the factor for anyone that day will be the weather and cloud cover.

For me, it's ~170 to Paducah, KY; equates to ~4 hour drive one way as there is no good route to Paducah. Evansville, IN is just on the outer fringe of the path and just across the Ohio River from Paducah. I've seen a couple in my lifetime so will be content on the 91.4-91.6% depending on where I might be in the county. Oldest grand-daughter came home from somewhere the other day with a handful of the special viewing glasses someone was giving out. Welding helmet works too but kinda' freaks people out.:P

The closest is about 190 miles to get into the band, but that is straight up I5 and probably the worst for traffic, unless it is around Madras in Central Oregon. If we are having to move the rest of my wife's stuff that weekend, we are not far away then and may go into the zone.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, lew said:

...and they closed all of our schools- for safety! What is this world coming to???

Our school system sent home letters yesterday announcing the various special learning events they plan to hold for Pre-K-12. Pretty cool actually what they will be doing...based on the timing of the eclipse here, they added 10 minutes to the school day so the kids will witness the entire eclipse start to finish.

Pre-K & K will not go outside, but rather follow on via a life stream from NASA. (I assume to ensure they're not frightened and keep that age group from staring directly into it???). At the HS level, essentially the entire day will be devoted to Science curriculum and moving the student body outside to view the eclipse. We will experience only at 91.5%, but still will be a remarkable opportunity. Glasses are being provided. I applaud our Superintendent and Administration for developing and implementing a learning plan such as this.

25 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Our school system sent home letters yesterday announcing the various special learning events they plan to hold for Pre-K-12. Pretty cool actually what they will be doing...based on the timing of the eclipse here, they added 10 minutes to the school day so the kids will witness the entire eclipse start to finish.

Pre-K & K will not go outside, but rather follow on via a life stream from NASA. (I assume to ensure they're not frightened and keep that age group from staring directly into it???). At the HS level, essentially the entire day will be devoted to Science curriculum and moving the student body outside to view the eclipse. We will experience only at 91.5%, but still will be a remarkable opportunity. Glasses are being provided. I applaud our Superintendent and Administration for developing and implementing a learning plan such as this.

Now that's an intelligent choice. I applaud them for it.

34 minutes ago, hatuffej said:

We were planning on going north about 100 miles to see it but have changed our minds due to the potential traffic issues. We will get 96% totality here.

hat

Same Here. We will be at about 93% and with the single interstate - we have decided to stay home and not fight the traffic. Neither the wife or I can take Tuesday off of work.

ODOT (Oregon Dept of Transportation) will not allow oversize loads on ANY roads in Oregon from Noon on Friday till 12:01 AM Tuesday to help minimize congestion

It would be good to not be on the road when it's happening. The Highway Patrol here is warning drivers not to try and drive while wearing the eclipse glasses (duh!) and don't try to observe the event (another duh!). They are also warning motorists to watch for cars pulled over, especially since some will still be 1/2 way out on the road confused-and-unsure-smiley-emoticon.gif. For us it sounds like the safest thing would be to avoid the roads altogether.

Archived