Show us your car

Ron Altier

25 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

How do I convert a slide to a digital pic? I have to find the slide first, but then what?

I took my old navy slides to the local photoshop place. They converted them and put them on a DVD.

There are devices available- usually in conjunction with a digital scanner- but for just a few slides, the photo place was easier/cheaper.

1970 Opel GT

Bought it in 1979 for  $1,100. I had it for 4 years and put in $4,000 totally rebuilding everything. Sold it for  $1,800. It was a very fun car to drive. Being that my soon to be wife could not drive a stick shift I sold it and bought a 1981 Buick Skylark 4 door sedan. 

Here is a pic of me with the car. I was 17 at the time. This was just after I bought it from the original owner. He bought it brand new just before he and his wife got married in 1970. When I got it home I pulled up the carpet floor panels and there was a whole lot of rice that was thrown at their wedding.

20170606_161325.jpg

The Firebird was my car purchased while in the USAF.  Kept and drove it off & on for nearly 20 years and then stored it for 14.  Our son & I restored it and I gave it to him when he was 18.  We spent 4 years in the restore and I took auto body classes at night at a local vo-tech school to learn how to do body work.  He is down in the Charleston, SC area and gets a lot of enjoyment of out it.

Following the Pontiac's build I said I had too much time invested in learning how (and had acquired a few tools also) to not do a car for myself.  So, I went looking for a Mopar and found a basket case - well, several baskets actually!  Except for the upholstery, I did this one totally in my shop at the house, including the Rustoleum paint job...  I have driven this on a couple long trips; from Georgia to Toronto, Canada one time!

While the Pontiac is all original and "numbers matching"; there isn't anything original to the Duster except the shell.  I call it my low-buck build as I have between $7500-8000 in it; not counting 4 years of my time...

Cal

DSCF4964.JPG

DSCF4974 (Medium).JPG

DCP_1003.JPG

DCP_1008.JPG

DSC00636 (Medium).JPG

DSC00632.JPG

First off thanks @Ron Altier for this thread...GREAT post...and made recalling fond memories fun...

Second, long post so if you read my ramblings all the way though, THANKS! As you will see, I was (still am really) a gear-head. Brought up around cars from my dad owning a Standard Oil station in the 1950's through early 60's, then opening up his own independent automotive, tune-up, electrical, radiator shop joined with Lawn & Garden sales/service.

I was fortunate to have a mentor, a place & equipment to work on my cars. That passion led to my formal training in automotive/diesel and my fist career in farm equipment repair and my second career in manufacturing of heavy equipment & engines. I still love getting grease under my finger-nails (OK most of the time) just as much a smelling wood chips...Either way, I'm working with my mind and my hands....

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures that I can locate of my early cars. Like Fred, I may have a slide of one and a few Polaroids of a couple, but to lay my hands on those pictures right now would be a major undertaking. So, I'll give you some net versions along with my recollections.

This is the color and style of my official, very first car I purchased...summer of 1966...I was 14-1/2...bought it for $10 (that was the towing bill); seems it had belonged to a student traveling through and the engine let loose on the interstate...it was abandoned...I think another $5 or $10 to file for a replacement title.

It had a 3 spd manual transmission with a generic floor shift. 335 ci, (with a rod hanging out about #5 cylinder)inline 6 cyclinder); had the normal rust  for a 55-56 Chevy at the rockers, lower rear front fenders, headlight rings, and rear rockers; all the glass was good, interior so-so; tires were "Maypop." But hey, I owned my first car...it later would become a parts donor for my real first car; reminder was sold off to help "finance" it.

1956 Chevy BelAir, 2 dr Hdtp

Image result for 1956 turquoise chevy 2 dr hardtop belair

Next up the following summer (1967), the local Ford dealer had on their lot, a one owner with 57k+ original miles this beauty. A 1957 Chevy, 2 dr, 210 sedan; 283, 2 bbl, power-glide automatic; a little rust on the rockers and rear lower fender wells, paint was faded & chipping, but a solid car; rear seat was immaculate as it still had the clear vinyl plastic seat cover on place. I paid $200 cash for this one. This became my first project car; I had a bout a year to get it ready before I got my license so...

Out came the manual transmission from the '56 along with all the clutch linkage; I located a bell-housing, flywheel, clutch/pressure plate along with a set of cylinder heads, manifold and 4 bbl carburetor from a 327 Corvette; next found and installed a dual point distributor and a set of headers (for which I traded a year unknown, black/chrome Cushman Eagle---yet another dumb decision on my part); I had quit playing in a local band, so sold my bass guitar and amp to help fund the project. I did all the body work myself getting it ready for paint; gutted the interior, repainted all the metal parts to match the body color, bought a carpet kit from J.C. Whitney, painted the headliner with paint specific for that.

I had the car painted by another business in town and friend of my dad. I think that cost me another $100-$125 (keep in mind Earl Schieb was $29.95 then:D) The paint job did include a "spray-on" black, "vinyl" roof (probably the equivalent of spray-in bed liner today???) I hit the road with it, the summer of 1968...

Image result for 1957 green 2dr 210

Car was painted this color with simulated vinyl top; it was a new color for 1968

Image result for 1968 pontiac green metallic

Kept the '57 for year plus, when a "kid" offered me too much money so I sold it...He later totaled it...bought this one in the late summer 1970

1964, Ford Fairlane 500...Mine looked almost exactly like this one. Mine had the 260 ci V-8 versus the 289; It has the biggest solid lifter Ford Muscle Parts camshaft that could be installed w/o fly-cutting the pistons; sometimes a 4 bbl, sometimes a 2 bbl carburetor; dual point distributor, headers, High performance clutch/pressure plate, scatter-shield bell housing (which was handy from time-to-time). It originally had a 3 spd transmission with a Hurst shift, but I bought a Borg-Warner T-10 in a box a kid couldn't put back together for $10 and replaced the 3 spd, then installed a Mr. Gasket Shift kit. I had any where from 4:01 down to 3:1 gear sets in it. The engine safely red-lined about 6700 RPM, but saw 7100 a few times on missed shifts.

I drove this car through my SR. year of H.S through graduation of Tech College. Made a LOT of trips between Indiana and Nashville, TN. My first date with my wife was in this car, August of 1970.

Image result for blue 1964 ford fairlane 500\

The summer of 1972, I traded the beloved Fairlane for a 1967 Pontiac GTO like pictured below except mine had while interior versus black, It wa the 400 ci/335 hp version, with Hurst dual-gate automatic transmission; it must have had ~3.91-1.0 rear gears because top-end was only about 117 mph but it did nearly all of that 113+ in the 1/4 mile. This is the car I had when we were married in 1973...my wife would become a "gear-head" in her own right driving this car.. In immaculate condition today, this car will bring $50-70k...Should have kept this one for sure...DUH!!!!

Traded it off in late 1975 for a new Pontiac Lemans GT...worse decision of my life for numerous reasons.in fact the last new car we've ever owned or will ever own...

Image result for 1967 Red/black GTO

Oh yeah why, I'm rambling...I bought my first PU in 1972.. 1955 Ford, F-1; Bought it for $5 (towing bill) from the local Catholic Parrish, Grounds Maintenance. I've only owned one non Ford PU in my life...same year we bought the 1975 Pontiac new bought a 1975 C-10, 350 new...2nd worst car purchase ever...(see 1975 Pontiac LeMans for 1st)

Kinda like this, but with less paint and what was thee was black...floor boards half gone (rusted)...engine was pretty week (flathead V-8); I did get it running, drove it a little and sold it for $100.

Image result for 1955 ford f1 pickup

• 1 month later...

Hey a little late as I usually do not get to this area .

Had a 50 model Plymouth in High school. You could see the ground thru the floor. A friend helped me put a galvanized pipe on as a staaight exhaust. It had a straight six.

Scan23-003.thumb.jpg.eff1b5d7fc9291bff4d0ead585975aad.jpg

Note that nice white two tone. Tires were $10 for it and we used bulk oil.

Image1.thumb.jpg.193cba3b353a4718840c4766b16ee031.jpg

This was my college car 63 Valiant. V6 boy an upgrade. and yes standard shift . The last car I had that I could really work on .

My favorite was a 69 Chevelle Malibu we bought in 70 when I graduated and I cannot find the pic but it was like this one except blue.

P5051754.thumb.JPG.477be31408a9567fc0e7607832532b0d.JPG

A lot of great cars shown here.  So this is a picture of my current ride.  I have owned it since 1998.  It was not drive-able when I first got it.  I did the restoration in 1999/2000 took me a year for the restoration.  It's a 289 bored .040, Summit hydraulic cam, Mallory distributor, Tri-Y ceramic exhaust, Elderbrock 600 cfm carb, elderbrock aluminum intake, C-4 transmission (Green dot) with shift kit, 355 gears, 1 inch sway in the front and 3/4 in rear, KYB shocks, Shelby style bars and a fiberglass Shelby style hood.

This is the only picture I have available at the present.  

000_0268 copy.jpg

Oh, I forgot to mention I do have a T-10 (4 speed) with all the fix ins stored in the barn.  Older folks like automatics. At this point, I am thinking of putting it up for sale. I do not have the same interest these days.  I have not fully made up my mind yet. Last week was the first time I had it out this year.  Its not a daily driver.

Paul

I just found of my old John Deere LA.  I restored it a few years back and then ended out selling because I needed the room . I had it for about 27 years.  The engine was seized and had been sitting out in the weather for 10 years.  This rebuild was what made me start purchasing my metal working tools.  I did work in my uncles tool room part time for a few years back in the eighties.   I hated to sell it, but...

Paul

000_0293 copy.jpg

Archived