Guys, haven't been around for quite a while and was hoping someone might be able to steer me in the right direction. My son and I will be building out the interior of a van (Sprinter type probably) and I have build plenty of standard cabinets but am looking for ways to save weight but still be structurally sound and be able to handle the bouncing of an RV. Thanks for any input, links or advice. 

Edited by Ron Dudelston
tags added

19 hours ago, Fred Wilson said:

Pat, I would agree with Lew.  Just make sure you sand the sharp edges and build lips on the drawers and extra strong latches for the doors.  These I learned from experience.  :wacko:

Fred, I'd love to hear more on creative ways to keep drawers and cabinets from opening?

20 hours ago, lew said:

Here's a link to some ideas-

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/building-cabinets-van-camper-87401/

Lew, this is my thread from when we built his original van.

I was told in another thread to make panels like a torsion box which got me thinking like a hollow core door to use cardboard in between two skins with a solid exterior plywood frame.

5 hours ago, Pat Meeuwissen said:

Fred, I'd love to hear more on creative ways to keep drawers and cabinets from opening?

Pat, the biggest thing we found was proper alignment of the catches on both the doors and the face frame.  It didn't take much movement oneither to make the catches stronger.  Same thing with drawers.  If the slides are just a little too far back, the drawer will not fully fall into the notch.

Use a solid face frame and thin plywood with framing underneath for sides.   At least that's what's in the RV where I'm sleeping tonight.  Some people use square aluminum tubing.   A place to look for good ideas is http://www.tnttt.com   Almost all homebuilts and cargo trailer conversions there.   Many are sick enough to start a second or third build after their first.

11 hours ago, kmealy said:

Use a solid face frame and thin plywood with framing underneath for sides.   At least that's what's in the RV where I'm sleeping tonight.  Some people use square aluminum tubing.   A place to look for good ideas is http://www.tnttt.com   Almost all homebuilts and cargo trailer conversions there.   Many are sick enough to start a second or third build after their first.

I wrote to the admin for tntt and am awaiting approval. If your a member maybe give him a nudge for me. Looks like some great info but as a non member I can't see all the pics.

10 hours ago, Pat Meeuwissen said:

I wrote to the admin for tntt and am awaiting approval. If your a member maybe give him a nudge for me. Looks like some great info but as a non member I can't see all the pics.

Ah, I've been lurking there for a while and can't remember what it took to get membership.

Got my membership and found a link to this video, talk about labor intensive!! I don't think this would hold up for my son, but in the beginning of the video he shows a rejected version using 1/8 ply on both sides which I think will work well with wood frame and foam insert.

More info on this thread. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67373&hilit=lightweight+cabinets