Spending some time today sharpening chisels and plane blades.   I was never very good, nor found a good way to sharpen.   Then I got a Worksharp 3000 for Christmas one year.   I love it.   For those not familiar, it uses various grades of sandpaper on rotating glass plates to sharpen such blades.   Think "scary sharp" method of sharpening.   A jig holds the blade at one of 4 fixed angles 25,28,30, and 35 degrees, includes sandpaper to take off the burr and a heat sink.   Pretty much idiot-proof if you can hold the tool against a fence and not go crazy on it.  https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WS3000-Wood-Sharpener/dp/B000PVHIMW

Then a few years later, I was at Hartville Hardware's fall show where they were demonstrating their knife and tool sharpener.   Similar concept but with a 3/8" or so sanding belts, and guides to hold your tool at the correct angle.  Went on my Xmas list for that year.  Just a couple of swipes on each grit and you are sharp.   I shared this with an upholstery group I'm on and a bunch of them bought the tools and used them for all sorts of things, not only scissors, but die cutters, cutting wheels, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B003IT5F14

Fast forward another year to an auction where a Drill Dr. got snagged for $30.    I could not justify the price for the need I have for twist bits, but at that price, I jumped and sharpened several sets of twist bits for less than the price of replacing them.

https://www.amazon.com/Drill-Doctor-DD750X-Bit-Sharpener/dp/B000BKTA00

Only showing Amazon because of widely available and comes up early on my searches.

All in all, good company and good products.

I have the knife sharpener - what a dream on hunting knives! Especially after working on an elk. It is also perfect for kitchen knives and my pocket knife (that has a portion of the blade serrated). Where I work, the truck boss has the Ken Onion version and the original. He said the Ken Onion version is even better!

The WS 3000 is on my radar and I am trying to work the "brother-in-law" deal for one at 1/2 price (will let you know how that goes).

A reminder - Dadio did a post on diamond wheels he made for his WS3000. A must read in my opinion. When I get mine, I will probably do that as well.

I am not a Worksharp user, and don't intend to be, I love the process of sharpening on stones, for me it is relaxing. That is where I am at, but, and a big but, you could purchase two work sharps for the price of good stones. I can most certainly see the attraction for a Worksharp, it's a great machine from what I know of and hear from users.

23 minutes ago, John Morris said:

You can share links openly if you wish Bill, we are an open community, with no monopoly on links.

OK, but, I hesitate to send them to this forum. It is loaded with buggy software and advertising.

The forum is not dangerous, just aggravating without add blockers in place.

This is a link to a very good discussion on the Worksharp 3000. It is located on routerforum.com. Long about post #37 and #41 I posted some links to a source of materials to create diamond disc plates that can be used on the WS. The entire discussion is good for those of you who are interested.

http://www.routerforums.com/tools-woodworking/84929-santas-present-work-sharp-3000-a.html

Edited by schnewj

56 minutes ago, schnewj said:

OK, but, I hesitate to send them to this forum. It is loaded with buggy software and advertising.

Got ya, thanks for the thinking of that Bill.

Hey, good information is good information, no matter where it's found! I do appreciate your insight and thoughtfulness. Thanks Bill!

Hmm, a son-in-law works for a company that makes diamond abrasive products.   I sent my knicked up planer knives to work with him and they came back all clean.    Have to ask him about this when I see him.