Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
kmealy

Shop (-in progress)

Rate this topic

lookin' like a real shop...

Lookin' good, but needs a few shavings on the floor! :D

John

Nice! I seem to recall that was a really big area, looks like you filled all of it up.

1 hour ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Nice! I seem to recall that was a really big area, looks like you filled all of it up.

Here's the before image.   Three outlets (all on same circuit) and four light bulbs.    Partitioned off the steps and HVAC area and behind it.58fe4e5770230_wkbasement.jpg.ba09c2bf47ba85b23a8c2fbba279cf23.jpg

Hey Kieth, what are all those spray cans in the first image?

3 hours ago, John Morris said:

where do you think all that ''wall art'' comes from...

8 hours ago, John Morris said:

Spray lacquers and toners for touch up.   A few are white and black lacquers, a shellac or two, and a few paints on the right side.  The rest are all clears and wood tones.  This is nowhere near all the colors available and there are at most 3 or 4 of each of the colors and sheen levels there.  One of the lower shelves has some upholstery cleaning supplies.  Another shelf, not shown, has stains  more stains (pigmented and dyes), a few varnishes, brushes  and house paints.

Not shown real well, but sitting to the right and under the table saw extension is a jointer-planer combo machine (F1000A Hitachi)

17 minutes ago, kmealy said:

Not shown real well, but sitting to the right and under the table saw extension is a jointer-planer combo machine (F1000A Hitachi)

You just opened old wounds for me on that one, I sold my F1000A a few years back and regret every minute of it! I loved that machine, I have no idea why I sold it for what I replaced it with. My F1000A was so clean, it looked new, well cared for by previous owner I bought it from back in 2001, I used the heck out of it till 2010 and sold it, can you believe it, I sold it!

Thanks for the description of your pro shelf full of finishing supplies Keith, and no thanks to you from me for opening up old wounds!:P

3 hours ago, John Morris said:

You just opened old wounds for me on that one, I sold my F1000A a few years back and regret every minute of it! I loved that machine, I have no idea why I sold it for what I replaced it with. My F1000A was so clean, it looked new, well cared for by previous owner I bought it from back in 2001, I used the heck out of it till 2010 and sold it, can you believe it, I sold it!

Thanks for the description of your pro shelf full of finishing supplies Keith, and no thanks to you from me for opening up old wounds!:P

Yes, it's a nice machine and over 30 years old for me.   Only thing it's needed is a blade sharpening and a couple of belts burned out when the feed rollers jammed.   At the time I bought it, the "lunch box" planers were just coming out and I was told they would not last more than a couple of years.  Ryobi I think was the first of them.   The time I bought it, I think I spent about $1400 and by the time they quit importing them, they were over $4000.   That might have sealed their fate.   I was in my local repair shop a couple of years ago and saw one and mentioned to the guy that that's the only other one I'd ever seen in the wild.   He says whenever he finds them, he buys them and resells them.  Only disadvantage (now) is they are 120V only.   At the time, I didn't have 240V in the shop (yet).

I needed to buy some blades after I got a serious nick last year.  I found the Hitachi 12R or something like that has compatible blades.

Edited by kmealy

That is an interesting machine, never seen one before. $1400. then was a pile of money though,but it was 2 machines, so maybe not that bad. I had an old Parks planer then.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitachi-F1000A-Commercial-Combination-Joiner-Planer-/201633445485?hash=item2ef24a366d:g:gZkAAOSwZVlXmPEs

You got a nice shop going there Keith, that is a big basement..

Herb

Edited by Dadio

20 hours ago, kmealy said:

Yes, look in the top left corner of the "before" photo.

We kissed a lot of toads over 9 months.

Glad i missed out on that search.  :lol:

Yes, Parks was made here in Cincinnati.   I worked about 2 miles away from them for a number of years.   One of my friends bought one of them back in the '80s too.

We actually put 4 offers in on homes -- the first, the seller was an out-of-state heir that even the listing agent said was hard to work with.  Next two failed inspections and had a number of problems that they would not fix, so we walked.  And we saw quite a few who only needed two things - a sledge hammer and a sawzall.   Some were laughable at their state.

Wow Keith, you've come a long way since all the boxes were just piled along the wall and in the center of the floor.

Very nice indeed with great flow and and space utilization. Even better, you don't even have to go out doors when it's raining, snowing or hot to get to the shop.

I really like your interpretation of the European work bench. Looks like it's held up well the past 35 years.

Are those steel storage cabinets you have Lyon or Steelcase units? The one with the drawer section in the middle would be a great addition for anyone.

20 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Are those steel storage cabinets you have Lyon or Steelcase units? The one with the drawer section in the middle would be a great addition for anyone.

CraigsList find $30 each.  Seller was a retired machinist getting ready to move to FL. I was lucky in the first buyer did not show up and he called me back. Heavy as all get out.  I don't have much in the drawers yet, but will probably creep into it over time.

I really like that style of work bench. Mine is an old German made one. I'm surprised more guys don't have one. 

Interesting how what starts off as looking like a lot of space gets filled up so easy. Too bad there are no windows.