Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Morris

Table Crank Retrofit for Delta Rockwell DP

Rate this topic

Does anyone have a good source for a mechanism that will raise and lower the table on my Rockwell Delta DP. A hand crank? Right now I have nothing, but a sore back by lifting the table by hand. I have literally almost blown my back out by forcing that table up by twisting and raising it by hand, I need a crank. Or a new DP, and I am not ready to fork those bucks out, plus I like my ol DP!

1492394993974-715995738.jpg

1492395027669-1852073418.jpg

Looks like column size is 2 3/4" Ron.

John,I rigged up a scissor jack on the one I had before and on this one I have a HF Electric trailer hitch jack, but it is 12v. so have to have a battery and trickle charger.

I know what you mean ,they are back killers.

Herb

33 minutes ago, Dadio said:

John,I rigged up a scissor jack on the one I had before and on this one I have a HF Electric trailer hitch jack, but it is 12v. so have to have a battery and trickle charger.

I know what you mean ,they are back killers.

Herb

Herb, I am sorry, I am having a hard time envisioning a scissor jack, is the jack resting on a platform raised off of the base?

Yes,I made a platform box to set on the base, then set the scissor jack on that ,I had to make up a wooden plate to flatten out the bottom of the upper table because of the cast iron ribs etc.for the jack to lift on. I also found that the jack has to be mounted tight against the column,sideways,  as it binds the table when raising and lowering, and I had to apply hand pressure down on the front lip of the table when raising and up on the front lip when lowering.

To eliminate the binding on your table you might consider attaching a cleat under your existing table to cantilever a small platform to the rear of your table to add some weights to counter balance the weight of the table.

I put a hand wheel crank on the jack to raise and lower it. Hope this helps.

The electric trailer hitch jack is taller and I don't have as much height adjustment as i would like. I use the battery to counter balance the table.

Herb

New table.jpg

Herb, that is brilliant! Thanks so much! What kind of DP you got there?  love the styling.

It is a vintage WWII  Atlas. I love it, it has a 4 1/2" quill travel. I did a thread on this forum awhile back on refurbishing it.

If you use a scissor Jack, you might be able to rig up an old drill motor to raise and lower the jack.

Just saying.

Herb

Edited by Dadio

11 minutes ago, Dadio said:

It is a vintage WWII  Atlas. I love it, it has a 4 1/2" quill travel. I did a thread on this forum awhile back on refurbishing it.

If you use a scissor Jack, you might be able to rig up an old drill motor to raise and lower the jack.

Just saying.

Herb

I love your drill press, I am officially jealous! And thanks for sharing Herb.

1 hour ago, John Morris said:

I love your drill press, I am officially jealous! And thanks for sharing Herb.

Here were the pictures in the gallery.

Herb

another option i have seen is using a weight (counter-weight) and a cable and pulley to essentially "remove" the weight of the table from the equation; making it very easy to raise and lower the table and then lock it in position.  

another plan.. boat trailer wench...

52866_2000x2000.jpg.4cebf7157b2a0fb5dea1eb0ff09a25ce.jpg

@John Morris...late getting to this party but your request challenged me because both my late 60's Craftsman and early 40's Atlas drill presses both need something too. @Dadio's idea and creation is awesome but me being the scrapper and tightwad I am, kept me looking and thinking...just hadn't followed through on anything yet...you motivated me to do a little looking so I found these two ideas worth considering. I really like the 2nd link idea and may consider some variation of that as my first option.

Craftsman You-tube Counter Balance System

Youtube Drill Press Table Height Adjustment

On 5/6/2017 at 9:04 AM, Stick486 said:

another plan.. boat trailer wench...

52866_2000x2000.jpg.4cebf7157b2a0fb5dea1eb0ff09a25ce.jpg

Not sure his better half would understand him having a wench out in the shop helping him. :lol:

1 hour ago, p_toad said:

Not sure his better half would understand him having a wench out in the shop helping him. :lol:

must not have a sense of humor or adventure...