Oldie but Goodie

HARO50

Shopsmith ER, serial #33178, built in 1952, if I remember correctly. My friend's dad bought it from a neighbour (the original purchaser) so he would have something to do after retirement. Unfortunately, brain cancer took him in his 40's, so his widow decided to sell it. I told my dad about it, and he snapped it up. Used it as a lathe for years, then when he could no longer stand for any length of time, he told me to take it. The motor has been replaced or rebuilt once, and the on/off switch is one I put in, but other than that the machine is all original. I have the "jigsaw", table saw, jointer attachment, shaper, disc sander, mortise thingy, and power files, all in mint condition. I use it mostly as a lathe, since I have all the others as stand-alone tools. Notice the variable speed control! Wouldn't part with this little honey for anything. They just don't build 'em like this any more!

John

DSC_0003 (1).JPG

No, they don't build them like that one anymore. 

There are two of the newer models ( MK V) built in the '70s, sitting in my shop. They are even more versatile and just as well built and rugged as the old ERs.

I don't have nearly all the acessories. Just the BS, 4X36 belt sander and jointer.

One is dedicated to the table saw function because it has an after market router table and fence attached. The other one does everything else. 

I love 'em. 

DSC_0004 (2).JPGDSC_0005.JPGSet up as a table saw. Note that it has a two-part table... both have to be adjusted for height to set the depth of cut. The main table is raised with a screw coming up from the bottom, and pushing an adjustable arm. It even came with a blade guard, a rarity at the time. The blade under the table has no guard at all.  Fingers were cheap and easily replaced! :rolleyes: The small extension gives more travel to the miter gauge.

John

2 hours ago, Dadio said:

I remember those, they had a band saw, jointer,belt/disc sander table saw ,could be used as a horizontal /vertical drill press,grinder and of course a lathe. I think they also had a scroll saw too if I remember right. I drooled over them as a kid.

Herb

I don't think the ER was available with a belt sander or a band saw. Those were added to the Mark V, which was made by a different company using the Shopsmith name.

John

1 hour ago, Dadio said:

They used the table saw bed for the fence for the jointer and mounted it vertical.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shopsmith-Model-10-ER-/332056684784

Herb

Well, I'll be! Tried everything to get that together! Except, of course, getting out the manual. :rolleyes: But seriously, I had to run... would have found it eventually. Thanks, Herb.

Edited by HARO50

25 minutes ago, HARO50 said:

Well, I'll be! Tried everything to get that together! Except, of course, getting out the manual. :rolleyes: But seriously, I had to run... would have found it eventually. Thanks, Herb.

I had a ShopSmith 4" jointer that was a stand alone tool,real heavy duty cutter blades ,must have been 5/16-3/8" thick. It had a 1/2 hp motor that ran it. A fellow came along and made me an offer so I sold it.

Herb

Yeah, I remember the TV infomercials as a kid and drooled all over the floor! I am surprised to learn that the company is still in business. There was a guy in Greenville, S.C. that marketed the Total Shop to compete with them. Only problem was that he copied Shop Smith, and got sued. That put him out of business! Another little tidbit, according to the owner of Total Shop: He built and sold the first overhead air filter/cleaner system for woodshops. Funny how "what goes around comes around" if what he told me was true: A salesman came in one day and wanted to see his machine shop. A couple of months later, that guy was advertising his version of an overhead air filter/cleaner! Only problem was he probably did not have enough money to file a lawsuit against that guy!

On 12/14/2016 at 10:55 AM, HARO50 said:

Shopsmith ER, serial #33178, built in 1952,

...So was I so that makes this 64 y/o...:P Really appreciated all the pictures and the stories to go with them John. I love looking at old tools and machinery especially when it's as nice & functional like your SS ER.

I see some like yours for sale on CL in our locale from time-to-time; usually have asking prices from $100-$300 (US); can't say I recall seeing any as nice as yours nor with all the original attachments. Very cool...Glad you took time to photo and share.

Thank you, Dave, and all others who responded. I figured there were SOME out there who liked old machinery. Went to a local antique market yesterday. The gent behind the counter explained the layout, then asked if I was looking for anything in particular. I told him "old tools". His buddy nodded towards him, and said "One right there." :D

John