Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

that sucks...

54 minutes ago, lew said:

New Woodcraft Magazine has a write-up on the Bosch saw.

Saw one last weekend, but could not stick around for the hot dog demo.  I'm not really interested in a job-site saw.

1 hour ago, Stick486 said:

that sucks...

Yep!

5 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Bill hit the nail on the head.

yup...

I was in the 7th grade in 1953 and took wood shop so I could build things like all the older men. We didn't have all (what they call safety things) then. Our shop teacher told us to put our minds on the chore at hand. If you couldn't stay focused do something else and when you are on track come back. We weren't allowed to horse around or talk or gossip. It was what was at hand and nothing else. When my wife comes out to the shop and hears a tool running she will wait till it shuts off to make her entrance. Always come up to some one from the front, don't come up to someone from behind  cutting something on the table saw and tap them on the shoulder!

I won't buy anything with the saw stop technology. I try to pay attention and figure out things. I'm always saying something to my self-is this OK or will this work safely.

Preston   

Edited by steamshovel

12 minutes ago, steamshovel said:

I was in the 7th grade in 1953 and took wood shop so I could build things like all the older men. We didn't have all (what they call safety things) then. Our shop teacher told us to put our minds on the chore at hand. If you couldn't stay focused do something else and when you are on track come back. We weren't allowed to horse around or talk or gossip. It was what was at hand and nothing else. When my wife comes out to the shop and hears a tool running she will wait till it shuts off to make her entrance. Always come up to some one from the front, don't come up to someone from behind  cutting something on the table saw and tap them on the shoulder!

I won't buy anything with the saw stop technology. I try to pay attention and figure out things. I'm always saying something to my self-is this OK or will this work safely.

Preston   

Absolutely, Preston, if you can't focus then do something else. Many times I didn't ride my bike on a 40 mile commute in the morning, because I wasn't fully awake, was being rushed for some reason, or I just had that bad JuJu feeling.

There are a bazillion hours of work on conventional tablesaws without an accident. I don't know what the statistics really are, but I'm willing to bet it's extremely low, when it comes to cut fingers/hands. I really applaud Sawstop for developing the safety system. I just don't like the bullying tactics that Bass employs.

Would I buy a table with this type of system...absolutely, but it would be the Bosch system and not the SS system. Why would I pay for a system that destroys blades and cost so much to reactivate? Conversely, the Bosch system saves your blade and you get two shots for less than the price of one with the SS.

Go, Bosch!

If Sawstop wins this, WE are the losers. Yes, Sawstop did try to make their technology available to other manufacturers, BUT, at a price that would have priced their saws out of the market. When manufacturers said no, Sawstop claimed  they conspired to  stop manufacturers from purchasing the Sawstop technology.  Mr Gass lost that battle, but has never  stopped in his battle against other manufacturers who joined together with Bosch to develop their own technology. A technology that is far superior to Sawstop. Many woodworkers including myself, never purchased the Sawstop primarily because of Mr Gass and his greedy tactics.

1 hour ago, It Was Al B said:

If Sawstop wins this, WE are the losers. Yes, Sawstop did try to make their technology available to other manufacturers, BUT, at a price that would have priced their saws out of the market. When manufacturers said no, Sawstop claimed  they conspired to  stop manufacturers from purchasing the Sawstop technology.  Mr Gass lost that battle, but has never  stopped in his battle against other manufacturers who joined together with Bosch to develop their own technology. A technology that is far superior to Sawstop. Many woodworkers including myself, never purchased the Sawstop primarily because of Mr Gass and his greedy tactics.

Don't forget Steve Gass also tried to get a federal mandate for flesh-sensing techology, which, of course, he held dozens of patents on.

as a patent attorney.. I wonder how infringements and borrows or use of expired patents he pulled off...

20 hours ago, Stick486 said:

as a patent attorney.. I wonder how infringements and borrows or use of expired patents he pulled off...

Many I'm sure.  That is why he is so good protecting his.

4 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

Many I'm sure.  That is why he is so good protecting his.

or knew which ones to use for blanket coverage...

You notice they always demo it with a hotdog. It senses moisture. Heaven forbid you have dry hands when it hits, you might get more than just a nick. The only demo I saw him do using his finger, they put it in ice first and got it cold and wet. I don't usually do that before I cut a piece of wood.