Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! August 29, 2016

John Morris

Monday Snoopy.jpeGood Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers!

Well here we are, embarking yet upon another fun week of projects, shop time, good friends and hopefully an expansion of our knowledge as we try new things out, learn from each other, and open our minds up to the possibilities. Woodworking is wonderful isn't it? There is not a single human in this world who could possibly know all there is to know about the different disciplines in woodworking, and that is why it's such an amazing field to be involved in, there is always something new to know, and learn.

The main purpose of our Monday Morning topics are to see what you all built over the weekend, and what plans you have for the week ahead. We love to see what is popping in your shops, so please share with us in this topic, what did you do this weekend, and what have you planned ahead? Don't forget to share your images too! Life experiences are welcome too, vacation images, ball game shots, anything you did this past weekend and or are planning for the week ahead.

Tutorials

Lately we have had some wonderful suggestions for improving our online community, and I'd like to point out some new tutorials for your enjoyment.

Profile Information Below Avatars

Invite Your Friends

How to Create a Blog

Viewing Recent Forum Images

Member Mentions in Content

Those are our latest tutorials, and please keep the suggestions coming, we love to expand and make our community better for all. To submit a suggestion simply start a topic in the Patriot's Pulse Forum and title your suggestion appropriately, and please, only one suggestion per topic, if you submit multiple suggestions in a single topic, we have a hard time tracking them. You may also submit gripes and critiques about our community, we need to hear those too!

Eye candy image of the week

See page for author [CC BY 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons"Six men are working with saws, drills, hammers and vices making chairs, cabinets shelves and cradles." Coloured etching.Iconographic Collections

Six_men_are_working_with_saws,_drills,_hammers_and_vices_mak_Wellcome_V0039813.jpg

I am going to be prepping for painting. I had my garage door removed and installed a 5' double door in its place (my garage is my shop and the pickup does not fit anyways). Now, I have to paint the exterior - YUCK! I think I would rather have a root canal AND colonoscopy on the same day rather than paint.

55 minutes ago, Chips N Dust said:

I am going to be prepping for painting. I had my garage door removed and installed a 5' double door in its place (my garage is my shop and the pickup does not fit anyways). Now, I have to paint the exterior - YUCK! I think I would rather have a root canal AND colonoscopy on the same day rather than paint.

After my own heart, painting besides pulling weeds are two of the most boring tasks I could ever do, and I avoid like the plague!

We got the trailer and all the piles of material out of the yard in front of the shop expansion. I can't wait till I can get the grass back from all the equipment and digging that has been done.

In the dry again.jpg

Got the Windows installed but I like getting the trim around them. I haven't really decided what I want to do around them but it will come soon.

Windows Installed.jpg

I'm hoping to have some help in getting the doors set this evening. It is starting to look like a shop on the outside. I also got the foam board up this morning on the ends to close them in. When it cools off a bit I'll cut the siding and slide it up in place on the ends.

We also went to a gender reveal party to find out that our new grandchild will be another little girl named Mary Morgan Moody.

Gender Reveal.jpg

My son, Joshua, Ryleigh Beth, Willow Kate, Brooks, and the two Beth's and soon to add Mary Morgan.

That was our fun filled weekend, This week is working on the shop.

4 minutes ago, John Moody said:

We also went to a gender reveal party to find out that our new grandchild will be another little girl named Mary Morgan Moody.

Congrats Grandpa, again!!!! Awesome news big John.

Hey, for the trim around the windows, I love rough sawn 2x6, nice and beefy. And gives the windows some depth.

Well, my shop is still not completely up and running following a household move two weeks ago and a house full of family visitors from out of state all last week.   All 11 from out of town left yesterday (5 more in town)   But I've several irons in the fire:

*  I am helping out the local furniture bank with a booth at Woodworking In America (look me up if you are there on Friday)

* My church has me in charge of a project to build some 5' x 7' built-in cabinets, an altar table, wainscoting, and a lectern for a chapel remodel.

* My daughter has volunteered me to help out with set construction for a play that two of her daughters are in next month (The Addams Family)

* The woodworking club's toy drive comes up in November.   I don't think I'll be able to make any this year.

* And there's the usual backlog of things for the family -- a bookcase and a dresser for a grand-daughter, replace all the @)#*Y$ wire shelving in all the closets in the new house.

6 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

In her honor, paint that cedar trim a bright pink.;)

Oh yes! Come on gramps! Just do a pink undercoat, you have to prime it anyway, so prime it pink, then when the baby is born, take a picture with the primed pink trim, then as soon as they go home, paint it white!:D

Congrats on the new granddaughter John.  I am with you guys when it comes to painting although I don't mind sipping a cold beverage and watching it dry.

I had a plow truck for 30 years and just had enough of it and sold it a couple of years ago.  I have been toying with the idea of buying a quad with a plow to do my drive with.  I don't want to shovel 240 feet of driveway.   Came across a good deal on one and bought it.  Spent Saturday playing with and riding my new toy.

Sunday morning I got a call from a friend whose car wouldn't start and she was in a panic because she had to call off work.  She said it just clicked when she turned the key.  I asked long since she had a new battery.  She said she never had to put one in it yet.  How long have you had it the car?  Eight years and it was used when she bought it.  Put the charger in the Jeep and went and got her started.  Followed her to Auto Zone and the nice people installed a new battery for her.  Then we went to breakfast.

Came home and cut the grass, the neighbors next door just got married and weren't home from their honeymoon yet so I cut their grass and the house on the other side has been vacant for some time and the bank doesn't do it so I cut that grass. 

Just didn't leave time for any woodworking.  

I didn't build anything this week end. I don't see anything in the near future. I'm busy going to doctors getting read for another shoulder surgery. After the shoulder surgery the doctor is going to fix the torn meniscus in my knee. 

Looks like I would be doing much for the next 6 to 8 weeks. :angry:

6 minutes ago, Richard McComas said:

I didn't build anything this week end. I don't see anything in the near future. I'm busy going to doctors getting read for another shoulder surgery. After the shoulder surgery the doctor is going to fix the torn meniscus in my knee. 

Looks like I would be doing much for the next 6 to 8 weeks. :angry:

Man sorry to hear Rich! Does not sound fun at all, you'll be getting a ton of snow pretty soon too won't ya, sounds like cabin fever may be an issue before too soon!