Back in Time, who would you talk too?

I've always admired Tage Frid. I have his series of "Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking" book and they are so completely understandable, straightforward, and easy to follow, and he always used regular shop tools it seems to perform many tasks.

He seemed like a good man and a great teacher as well. His design and expertise in modern danish is also what would be fascinating to talk about. He'd be one of my favorites to be with.

While typing I also had a thought, Thomas Day, a free man of color during the first part of the 19th century here in America. Now that would be a great interview! I saw a Woodwrights Shop episode featuring a tour of Thomas Day's town, shop, and homes in the area that had his work. Very cool.

Mine would be my Great Grandfather Edward Kaub. (pronounced "Cob")

His family immigrated from Germany in the late 1700's as part of the "Pennsylvania Deutsch" (Dutch) movement. They settled in an area on the Maryland/Pennsylvania border with their kin and then later migrated to a mission settlement just west of Kansas City, Kansas where there was a large community of Native Americans that were relocated by the U.S. Government after the Civil War. There were Baptists, Methodists and Quakers in the area all working with the Native Americans in education and trade skills. They then migrated to Southern California in the early 1900's settling in the city of Yorba Linda which was near the city of Whittier which was a community with many Quakers and Methodists which included the family of the future President Richard Nixon as he was born in Yorba Linda.

My Great Grandfather was a builder/contractor/carpenter as well as running his ranch growing citrus, vegetables and raising chickens for eggs and meat. He was the builder/contractor for a number of the buildings in my home town Yorba Linda, CA which included the Hardware Store, Masonic Lodge, the Presbyterian Church (that later became the Methodist Church and then in January 1963 became the First Baptist Church that I grew up in and was married in) as well as a number of custom homes and manufacturing buildings. My middle name "Edward" was given in his memory. I have many of his woodworking tools and have a large wall display case filled with some of his planes, saws and other tools that I have restored.

In the photos one is of my Great Grandparents Edward and Hannah Kaub on their ranch while he was still a contractor some time in the late 1920's to early 1930's. The other photo is of my Great Grandfather about 1957-58. He passed in 1959

Edward and Hannah Etta Kaub.jpeg

Edward Kaub.jpg

Awesome answer and story Allen! I had the fortunate experience of Allen telling me much about this man face to face, and I was honored that he shared it with me as we stood in his garage shop a couple years ago. Thanks for that Allen, I also walked away with one of Grand Dads saws, I will cherish it forever.

After reading about Allen's great grandfather, I'd like to change my choice. 

For some reason, those folks who build functional things, things to live with and use every day, are the guys I find most inspiring. 

Allen's great grand dad's work likely served his customers well for many years. 

Noah's boat only had 40 days of service. 

2 hours ago, John Moody said:

I would not have wanted to be a part of their lifestyle, but I would have love to be able to spend some time with the Shaker carpenters. I love the straight lines and the functionality of the piece they make.

Now that would have been a great quality of time spent! Oh to be able to walk through a shaker wood shop back in the day. I agree, a great time indeed.

1 hour ago, Fred W. Hargis, Jr said:

Allen, I thought that was an awesome story...I have little to contribute to this thread (I'm not much of a historian either) but reading that was quite interesting.

Allen has a great story, it's almost as if this question was tailored to him. :)

On 7/30/2016 at 11:42 AM, Allen Worsham said:

They settled in an area on the Maryland/Pennsylvania border

Allen,

Just out of curiosity, could you be more specific. My family also originated in Germany and many settled not far from here- near the PA/MD border.