Patriot Picking - Nashville November 2015

John Moody

Last weekend my wife and I celebrated our 41st anniversary and we did so by picking our way to Nashville and then a little more picking on the way home. I did take her out for a very nice dinner at Stone River Steak house in Franklin, TN so it wasn't all about picking and she likes it as much as I do. I didn't take pictures of her treasures, but she got quite a few deals. She like dishes and pottery.

I found a variety of things a several different places along the way.

56561ff06b619_NashvillePicking.thumb.jpg

5656201f4fddd_NashvillesmallPickings.thu

So I found that Keen Kutter metal sign and most likely it is  repo but it was a cool sign and I wanted to put it up in the shop. Tool signs are hard to find so I try to get them when I can. I also got the Screw and Bolt signs which are double sided.

I ran across this one place that had a great collection of really nice tools. They were locked in a glass cabinet. I ask the person to unlock it and told her I was going to be looking in there for a while. She ask if she needed to get the mop to clean up the drool.

I first got this nice Keen Kutter Sliding T Bevel square. It is metal and nickel plated.

5656202500cec_KeenKutter622SlidingTBevel

Just below the screw it has a patent date of Oct 29, 07 stamped.

56562029cc335_KeenKutterBevelGaugePatOct

I also got this Lufkin No. 014 Caliper ruler.

5656203030855_LufkinNo014.thumb.jpg.d122

What I thought was really cool about it is the fact that they also put the Stanley number next to their number. Shows you how popular and big Stanley was even them. I have this same small caliper rule in the Stanley 136.

I then pulled out this really nice Stanley No. 53 1/2 ruler. When I started college I wanted to be an Architect so this ruler was kind of neat to find. The No 53 1/2 was made from 1879 to 1942. The rule was beveled on the inside edges so the numbers would be close to the page.

565624238f1f4_StanleyNo5312Ruler.thumb.j

5656206f91c60_StanleyNo5312.thumb.jpg.69

This ruler has the brass arched ends and brass joints and ends. The patina is really nice and it is very readable.

I also saw this nice No. 66 1/2 boxwood ruler that was made from 1870 to 1957. What makes it special it is one of only three 3' four fold rulers to survive WW II. 

565620780b0bd_StanleyNo6612Ruler.thumb.j

This one happens to be from the Sweet Heart era 1922 to 1935 so this one would have been Pre WW II.

56562075a27d4_StanleyNo6612ArchedEndRule

This one also had the brass arched ends. This one wasn't cleaned by someone.

I have the Stanley No 36 Cast Iron level in the 18" and 12" and it was nice to find this one in the 6" size and all of the vials intact and working.

5656206893234_StanleyNo36level.thumb.jpg

Then I found this Stanley folding ruler with Green Ends. I had just been looking through one of my original Stanley catalogs a week earlier and saw this information on the Green End rulers.

56562055a3749_StanleyGreenEndRulers.thum

So when I saw this Stanley Green end folding ruler at a very cheap price in the cabinet I had to get it out and add to the collection.

5656205c62d6e_StanleyGreenTipRuler.thumb

And then I found my real prize of this pick. I saw this really nice Stanley No. 98 and picked it up and checked it out. No cracks and the finish is in good condition. I had to include it, I just couldn't leave it there.

56562083648e0_StanleyNo98.thumb.jpg.e784

5656207ee1072_StanleyNo98Backside.thumb.

They made these in right and left handed models. The No. 99 is the left side model. I am looking for one of those to add to the group and to make this complete by having a right and left model.

This little plane was made from 1896 to 1942. This one appears to be a Type 1a which was made from 1905 to 1907.

One of the things about this little plane is the knob is the same size and a perfect replacement if you need a knob for a Stanley No. 1 bench plane. The knob can be worth as much or more than the plane itself.

So I have added a few more items to the latest display cabinet in the house.

565620377e3ff_CollectionDisplayCabinet.t

This is the ruler shelf.

56562040c9864_StanleyCollectionTopShelf.

All of the catalogs are original catalogs and the oldest one is a Stanley 1914 catalog.

So that was my anniversary weekend picking and we had the best time out with each other looking for those special treasures.

Till next time.... 

Patriot Picking

Stanley No 53 1:2 logo.jpg

Edited by John Moody

5 minutes ago, lew said:

+1 on the expansion!!

Just curious, my Stanley ZigZag has green ends but it's not that old- early 60's. I use it on practically every project. Maybe I should put it on display??

I wasn't aware go the green ends till I was looking for something else in the catalog. The one I got is not a real old one either but apparently the Green End was like the top of the line in the Zig Zag Rulers.

A lot of nice stuff in this grouping.  I love the KK sign.   I found a Stanley 99 some years back and have been watching for the 98 to compliment it.  I havent found them that easy to locate and just picked one up on the auction site to make the pair.  Mine are to be users so color and condition arent a perfect match but good for me.  I added a picture of them.  Nice haul...

image.jpeg

On November 29, 2015 at 8:07:05 AM, Bundoman said:

A lot of nice stuff in this grouping.  I love the KK sign.   I found a Stanley 99 some years back and have been watching for the 98 to compliment it.  I havent found them that easy to locate and just picked one up on the auction site to make the pair.  Mine are to be users so color and condition arent a perfect match but good for me.  I added a picture of them.  Nice haul...

image.jpeg

Those are nice and glad you got to complete the set. I need to spend a little time using mine, but I really like collecting them more. It is all about the hunt for me.

• 2 years later...

John

This is off topic somewhat.  I read one of your posts about a friend that gave you a No.84 sweetheart folding rule.  You said the that the Sweetheart logo dated it around 1922 or so.  I have a Stanley no.84 folding rule without the logo.  Were these made prior to 1922, and do you know when the No.84 was first made?

Thanks

Gene Thomas

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2017 at 1:35 PM, Gene Thomas said:

John

This is off topic somewhat.  I read one of your posts about a friend that gave you a No.84 sweetheart folding rule.  You said the that the Sweetheart logo dated it around 1922 or so.  I have a Stanley no.84 folding rule without the logo.  Were these made prior to 1922, and do you know when the No.84 was first made?

Thanks

Gene Thomas

Sorry for being so long in replying. Here is a picture from the book I have on Stanley Boxwood rulers. The no 84 was made from 1859 thru 1934. 

2E78695B-1675-4978-9BB9-916326744D44.jpeg