New Member who is really into the Oldies

well I was busy over the winter

rebuilt and sold a beaver 3300(bandsaw) and a 3800(jointer), bought and rebuilt a craftmaster 12inch bandsaw, and that's just the beginning, plus a wheatley jointer, another beaver lathe, repowered the craftmaster lathe, sold a beaver 3700 and bought another,  you know typical Canadian winter in ontario

somewhere in there I also went to work, built some furniture etc etc

well I was busy over the winter

rebuilt and sold a beaver 3300(bandsaw) and a 3800(jointer), bought and rebuilt a craftmaster 12inch bandsaw, and that's just the beginning, plus a wheatley jointer, another beaver lathe, repowered the craftmaster lathe, sold a beaver 3700 and bought another,  you know typical Canadian winter in ontario

somewhere in there I also went to work, built some furniture etc etc

Steve,

Is that all? :lol:

Now I really feel like a slouch. :(

well im pleased to say that the old crescent works well, actually has been for several months, the guards are new.  I did havbe some issues with bearings getting too warm, resolved that with 30w non detergent motor oil, is does require oil regularly, I add a couple of drops everyday that I use it.  the lower shaft is babbitt, the upper is a steel shaft on cast iron.  the hex hole for the guide post and the table tilt quadrant are also babbitt

I have resawn 8 inch white oak and walnut, no issues except the fence system(1940's beaver).  it is far easier to snap a chalkline and follow the line than mess around with fences

the jointers are next, got a beaver 3800(6 inch), wheatley (6 inch) and a beaver/rockwell 4 inch. the beaver 3800 is my regularly user, the little 4 inch has a very high angle grind, great for small pieces of figured woods

well maybe not, i'll continue on with the various bandsaws ive rebuilt

first is the beaver 3300, its a 14 inch, same as the common as mud delta and all of its clones, but this one is different

the entire frame/body is a one piece cast aluminum, 4feet tall.  the callander foundry boys must have learnt a lot during WW11

ive done several of these, nice machine, easy rebuild unless the wheels get loose from the axle and start to wobbleDSC00180.thumb.JPG.b4ce0271a332b57c56592

next is the beaver 2300, an allcast iron 12 inch saw, quite rare for some reason, nice little saw001.thumb.JPG.b0bc07d57f1c8af174cb817c06

thent here's the henry power tools craftmaster, this was rebadged and sold by portercable in the states. mine was found in a dumpster behind a habitat for humanity store

001_(2).thumb.JPG.b12bcd2953f36c983c2717

sharp eyes may notice the craftmaster lathe on the shelf above the bandsaw

all these saws were rebuilt and sold except the last one, just finished it

here's an idea of the scope of the body work

remember that was built during the first world war, cosmetics was not a high priority for manufacturing equipment

Most of my 1930's Delta's required their share of it too.

I love the smell of Bondo, it smells like victory! :D

well maybe not, i'll continue on with the various bandsaws ive rebuilt

first is the beaver 3300, its a 14 inch, same as the common as mud delta and all of its clones, but this one is different

the entire frame/body is a one piece cast aluminum, 4feet tall.  the callander foundry boys must have learnt a lot during WW11

ive done several of these, nice machine, easy rebuild unless the wheels get loose from the axle and start to wobbleDSC00180.thumb.JPG.b4ce0271a332b57c56592

next is the beaver 2300, an allcast iron 12 inch saw, quite rare for some reason, nice little saw001.thumb.JPG.b0bc07d57f1c8af174cb817c06

thent here's the henry power tools craftmaster, this was rebadged and sold by portercable in the states. mine was found in a dumpster behind a habitat for humanity store

001_(2).thumb.JPG.b12bcd2953f36c983c2717

sharp eyes may notice the craftmaster lathe on the shelf above the bandsaw

all these saws were rebuilt and sold except the last one, just finished it

I like the lines of the "Beavers".

Even though they were sold through Montgomery Wards, we don't see many of them this side of the border.

well the tablesaw is kinda hohum, just another delta tilttop, at least its not just another unisaw!!

so the jointers.my regular user is a 6 inch beaver 3800

this an older picture, it has a small (Leland)1/2 hp ri motor under the outfeed table, its been upgraded to a 1 hp ri century monster on the other side. has to run on 240, the motor draws 15 amp on 120

i'll get a new picture or two tomorrow.  the 3800 is really unique, there is no spindle, the cutterhead with intregal pulley is mounted in tapered roller bearings, the fence system is a study in walter mitty complexity

I have other jointers as well, but the beaver is my favourite.  note the beaver cast iron leg stand

DSC00402.JPG

Edited by stevem

here's my little beaver jointer, 4 inch.  I keep this machine setup for highly figured woods, the knives have been honed very careful

it will joint birds eye maple very nicely

DSC00401.JPG

Steve,

How many parts does that share with its Homecraft 37-110 counterpart?

37-110.thumb.JPG.c1115c4913fbb03cf881d28

Other than the badges they look identical. 

im not sure larry, but they look virtually identical, this is a 2801.  there was a previous much heaver 4 inch machine, the 2800

not surprising really, Rockwell bought the callander foundry in Guelph, ontario and the beaver tool line in 1954

some of the beaver designs were kept and some replaced with rockwells