Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Great drill press John. You can find the instruction book on the vintage machines website, along with a dateline of when the machine was built, using the serial number off your machine.

If you want to replace the bearing, look in the forum in the owwm site and search for the model # of your drillpress. You should find all the info you need . If you need a hand, let me know. bob

John.............I'm really not sure where to start here. I don't know if you got took...........or ya got a real deal. The first thing I see is the key laying on the table. That tells me the dp did not come equipped with key storage. Strike one!!!! The second thing I see is there are ONLY two control handles to drill to depth, not four like new models. Strike two!!!! Then the third thing I see is the depth stop is on the right side, not the left side. It must be an English model ( steering wheels on right side ). Strike three!!!! Man...........I think ya got took.

Oh ya...........one other thing. It would be totally useless in my shop!!!! It needs a flat top................so I can set stuff on it.Grin.gif

All kid'n aside.............good purchase John.

Thanks for the info guys, and thanks Gary, you sure know how to make a guy feel great about his equipment!

I like that site Bob, and what I really want is the old Bullet style motor for my DP, you know the motors with the black paint on the cowling? I love that ol style.

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=11475

Something like this? It has the little condom on the other end of the motor. They are around. You can find them on the big auction site on the web. I'll keep my eyes open for one around here. I do have a motor off a old delta scroll saw. I don't think it is old enough though to be the type you are looking for. I'll check later and see what I can find.

bob

Sweet!

Thanks for the info guys! I am getting geared up for machinery restoration now, oh jeez, how do I tell my wife I need more tools for another interest?

Bringing back up an old relic of a topic! I still have this DP!

Nice old drill press.  This is a picture of my dream drill press.  A place I worked for had one.  The variable speed was nice.

image.png.99186a5fbfeb9f3f1962b0cb7463b130.png

Thanks John for the "re-run." I had not seen this old thread.

Very cool old DP. I too like the old AB switch.

12 hours ago, HandyDan said:

Nice old drill press.  This is a picture of my dream drill press.  A place I worked for had one.  The variable speed was nice.

Nice press!  love it Dan. I can see where that variable speed could help a lot, can you adjust that variable speed as your drilling?

11 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Thanks John for the "re-run." I had not seen this old thread.

Very cool old DP. I too like the old AB switch.

Thank you sir, ya it's been a work horse for me for years. It's a tad noisy, I think it's in the pully's and belt. I did put a link belt on it years ago and it seemed to help some.

2 hours ago, John Morris said:

Nice press!  love it Dan. I can see where that variable speed could help a lot, can you adjust that variable speed as your drilling?

Theirs didn't have the electronic control just the tri-knob adjustment at the top.  It was a reeves drive system and was adjusted with it running.  I have an old Craftsman with a three pulley-two belt speed control system.  A real pain to chain speeds.

I too am a fan of old Delta drill presses. Mine is from the very early 40's---- has one of the first of the line serial numbers. 15 years ago I converted the motor to a treadmill motor and DC converter. This has given me the option of infinite speed control that works without flaw. I use this for all shop work with exception of drilling steel 3/8ths or thicker. Did I say I really like this machine? Works for me