1923 Crescent Universal Wood-Worker No. 108 Restoration Complete (Tons of pics)

Shane,

I have been out in the shed working on restoration projects also and haven't posted much in the last few months, but I logged in and in doing some catch on this site and wow! I found your post and have to say again that you do such superb work in anything I have seen you do that this was no surprise...just fantastic work Shane.

Take care my friend and I hope some day you and your bride can come to the OWAMMO's Gathering and visit with a bunch of us.......

Over and Out ~ Dan

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Shane, thanks for posting this work of art here on our network. I am personally honored you have shared this with us. The entire work is priceless, it is breath taking, and just absolutely incredible. To think what goes into a restoration like this just overwhelms my senses. And, it makes me want to move my entire family out of our tract neighborhood with our small garage workshop, move out into the woods where we can have a huge shop, and I could dedicate half of it to restorations. I am very serious, I remember when you posted on here awhile back, and I was hooked on the possibilities of restoring machinery, and the satisfaction. I have seen your site, and I have seen your video tour of your shop, where you have a small warehouse full of parts and pieces of machinery. It looks like a lifetime of accumulation has taken place and again, it's all so overwhelming to think how much time, a person would have to spend restoring machinery to get up to your level of expertise, if ever. Once again Shane, wonderful work. I love restored 1965 Corvettes, it's my dream car, after seeing this machine, it would be a hard choice if both were set in my driveway and I was told to pick one.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Thanks for coming aboard Jack. All are welcome here, American or not. Also, feel free to speak your mind, we do have rules, mainly stay in the bounds of common decency and no personal attacks against folks, their politics, and their religion and their choice of lifestyle, beyond that, feel free to speak openly, post what you like, link to anything, advertise your site if you have one, plug your own business, talk about off topics in our Free For All Forum, and just have plain ol fun. To see the long version of our rules, go to Terms of Service and for the short version go to General Rules. Thanks again Jack for being here, welcome to The Patriot Woodworker!

Edited by Larry Buskirk

John,

No worry's here I am a well behaved poster who loves his English machines as you will soon discover. Good to see you can talk about anything in a tone of respect. Looks real nice around here John .

Thanks for the welcome, and that beer sounds good in the rules(even if you're not Canadian)-------------------------------------

jack

English machines

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Right on Jack!

Yeah, we are a pretty loose bunch around here. Not uptight, really supportive of each other no matter what level or experience we possess. I am really proud of that about our members. I have been a member of many forums, and sometimes, it felt like folks were afraid to post a question or make a crazy statement for fear of getting pounced on by those in the "Know". There are no stuffed shirts here, no egos, we are all here for each other, and for that, I am honored and proud to be in the company of all the positive folks that call our little corner of the world home. I can't wait to see your English machines Jack. Hey Jack, how far back does General machinery go back? Thanks again for joining up my friend.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Nice to have you here Jack. I know you will enjoy the place. Love your machines and Hutch's too.Your English stuff is really something. I know I look forward to your pictures too. You and Shane and Hutch have really set the bar high. Thanks for joining. Be sure to link to your you tube stuff too. bob

Bob Kloes 

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Yes that's what that type of guard is called. It was developed in England. The American's like there pork chop guard. and I have never seen one on a Crescent.  I had an old hand planer (that's what the English call a jointer) that was missing one so I made one in brass. could you show me more of it as I am doing a study of the Bridge guard? Once again top of the class work on that machine!

.ning-bursgreen3-42878-41.jpgning-img-0191-1-42878-68.jpg?width=721

jack

English machines

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Shane,

You have to shot me more pics. The guarding on tooling was first developed in England well before the US. many of the English manufacturers were putting guarding on tools and it looks like that's were they got the design. Belt guarding, and cutter guarding in England was around in the 1890s .

jack

English machines

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Shane,

You simply outdid yourself on this beautiful restoration.

Would love to see it in person. Could you tell us where it will be displayed?

Your work is inspirational, as Dave Rybak stated "miss seeing your work on the OWWM site".

So I had to sign up here also.

After seeing this restoration I've got to get to work on my much smaller Delta's.

Guess it's time to make them pretty, and not just functional.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Edited by Larry Buskirk