So I got this old saw... Now what?

Larry-

I was trying to think of a long tubular tank of some sort and was thinking if I had an old piece of pipe that may do the trick, but I didn't have any large pipe laying around anyhow so off to the lathe I went.

Another idea I had was making a damed up area on the ground with a plastic tarp / Visqueen and throwing it away or cleaning it when done, do you think that would work?

Randy

Edited by Larry Buskirk

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy,

Your mention of pipe may be a good idea for long tubes like the table saw guide rails. It could be done by capping one end of a piece of 4" or larger PVC pipe. It wouldn't be that expensive to make using PVC.

It also would not require mixing a large batch of electrolyte solution.

The plastic sheeting would probably work better than a tarp, most all of them I've ever seen are not really watertight and prone to leakage.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

So I got this old saw and now it looks new! Project almost complete. Things left to do.....

I need a new pinion assembly as mine is broke. The knob is cracked bad and one tooth is missing on the pinion gear. I can buy a new one but I don't know if it would look the same the replacement looked like a tri shaped knob not the round bumpy old style.

I am missing one end cap for the guide rails.

And I need to paint the the Miter Gage, anyone know any tricks on how to get white paint in the lines of the protractor.

It's been a very fun project and I am looking forward to using it soon.

Randy

ning-dsc03218-32553-32.jpg?width=721

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Randy,

Wow it looks real nice, you did a fine job!

Keep an eye on ebay, as parts for these old saws show up quite frequently. I check several times a day myself.

As to painting the lines etc. on the protractors I've seen where people have used thinned model paint wiping it into the indentations while wiping the excess from the surface. I've got a few to try to do myself.

I'm sure you'll enjoy using your new old saw, maybe now I'll get motivated to finish mine.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Larry-

I've been watching ebay but no luck yet. I will keep watching and hopefully one day I will find what I need.

It's been a fun project and It has me looking forward to doing more of the same. I do allot of antiquing but I don't ever come across this kind of stuff. If I did my garage would be stuffed with it. I felt lucky just coming across this at a garage sale.

Maybe I need to go to more garage sales.

Thanks for your help in getting me going on this, and showing me where to find manuals and info.

I'll be watching to see how your saw comes along, and I'll let you know how my protractor comes out

Randy

Edited by Larry Buskirk

• 7 months later...

Dan,

It sounds like the saw you had was an 860 or one of the later designations of it, which would make it an 8" saw.

Randy,

The cover Dan has will fit the 1160 10" saw. It is one of the only parts common to both saws.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...