Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'wall box'.
Found 2 results
I had sooo much fun with the project, for Colonial Wall Box Part 1 click on the proceeding link. After the getting the parts cut out in the Part 1 post, I sanded the pieces that were going to be on the inside portion of the box area to 400. I like to sand before assembly anything that may be hard to sand after assembly. Once I got the parts sanded, I glued them up and let sit over night. Once it was all set up, I went ahead and constructed the base and routed a recessed 1/4 round profile around the front and sides, and glued and screwed the base to the box. I used dark colored straight slot number 6 screws. countersunk flush so in case the recipient wants to set the box on a table instead of hanging it on a wall, the screws wouldn't hit the surface. I like using straight slot screws in woodworking, it just seems correct to me, and classy. Before I assembled the base on the box, I took to sculpting the edges and the upper neck. The upper neck was done with a round file and cleaned up with a half round and then sanded. If I had a cigar shave I would have used it, someday I want to get one, Veritas has some wonderful cigar shaves. I love the way the lines turned out on the neck, The black knob I sawed off a tiny piece of ebony, and I took a chisel and rounded the portion that was inserted into a hole in the drawer face. The knob is far from being round, but I love it because it's faceted by my chisel and has flats all over it showing that it was truly done by hand. I wish I had a nice close up of the knob. The tiny drawer bottom is even raised a bit. So that's it, it was fun, and it's classy looking I think. I'll do more for sure.
See Part 2 of this build and completed project. Yesterday I was wrapping up some work for a customer, and I had sometime in between waiting for the paint to dry so I thought, man I'd sure love to do something fun right now. And I have always wanted to build one of the Colonial Wall Boxes we have here on our site at the Downloads department. So I came in and printed out the plan, took it out to the shop and commenced to ripping down a 10/4 chunk of cherry to build the box. First photo is my block of Cherry that I cross cut off 18" from a 10 foot length of it I had laying around, you can see our colonial box plan to the right of it. Then it took me about an hour to get the pieces roughed out of that 10/4 Cherry, I had to re-saw it on the TS, take one pass then flip it and another pass. But we got the parts roughed out, or some of the parts, we still need the base and the drawer parts, but the body of it is roughed out pretty good. Then a dry fit to make sure it resembles the image in the plan. I band-sawed the back and sides out about 1/16th up to the layout line, and I used a rasp to fair the curves and bring the shape into the pencil lines. I still have a couple hours to go on this lil project, but it is fun! These are very cool looking. Once together I'll be smoothing the edges, sculpting the outline and beveling, to give it some character and to get away from the boxy look it has now.