Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'two piece'.
Got the cane I've been working on done this week. This is the first one I made in two pieces. I started out with two brass bushings. Threaded them to a 3/8" coarse thread. Turned them down to 5/8" and turned notches into the outside so the epoxy had something extra to grab onto. Took a couple 3/8" bolts and drilled a chamfer in the heads to give them a true center point to ride the live center. Did this to make sure they met well when screwed together later. Took a 36" x 1 1/4" birch dowel and cut it in half. Found the centers and drilled a 5/8" hole in one end of each piece and epoxied the bushings in. Drilled the holes using the lathe. Mounted them in the lathe and turned them to a gentle taper and smoothed them out. Even at 18" long they want to chatter. I find a two wheel steady is all that is needed for this. I made it to fit the banjo from another lathe and is easily adjusted for height and closeness. Looked online at Google images for cane handles and decided on which one I liked. Drew it out on a piece of Purpleheart cut it out on the band saw and used the spindle sander to shape it from there. Lots of hand sanding after that but worth it. While turning the shafts I added some small beads under the handle and again at the joint to conceal it. Burned lines between the beads too. I used the lathe as a sculpting vise for the handle. Here is some pictures of that.