Dear folks, help us raise funding for our community directly. And in the process you'll have a chance to win some terrific tools donated by our sponsors! Read More...
Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'handtools'.
Found 4 results
Ok, might as well get started....this all came about because of a royal mess ( aka cluster-....) of tools piled up, and getting dusty and rusty.. yeah... So..have been going through all the tools, deciding which to keep handy, and which to stash....(cleaned up down in the Tool threads.) Picked up a few pine boards the other day... Ten 1 x 10 x 4' planks....not the best looking ones on the pallet...but, will do for a tool cabinet build... A few 1 x 4s as well. Handsome, ain't they....$45.75 counting tax.... So, today..the pick of the litter..4 planks of 1 x 10 were hauled to the shop....goal WAS to build a cabinet 3' wide, by 4' tall...WAS...until I stood one of the up, where the cabinet will go... Sitting on a 3' tall toolbench....another 4' would have been a bit too tall....design change! so that instead of 4' tall, it will be 3' tall...yet still 3' wide..needed to trim the worst ends of the 4 planks...one even split after the saw made the cut.. Not up for that much Cardio, today....besides.this is a Vintage SKIL saw... Should be enough to do this job... Once they were all trimmed down to 36", time for the jointer. . Except this Jointer was New in the box about 1905 Stanley No. 7c, type 9 needed the edges jointed for a BIG glue up....first was the start of the mess..and the cussing.. Have 4 planks to glue up, and I didn't want 2 to fly apart while adding the next one..problem was finding long enough cauls....and clamps.... Came out to 36 x 37"....glue lines will be vertical, once the glue is cured....looks like I am done, for the day. Need to decide how deep to make the box itself....a 1 x 10 may not quite do it....may glue those 1x4s to the four 1 x 10s for the box......then decide how to join the corners, and the back to the box.....making me head hurt, Imagine trying to cut the ends square on this "little" panel... Stay tuned...this might take a day..or three
friend of mine is into that Black Powder stuff. He had a jig, to hold a revolver steady so he could reload it. he had this thing.. The butt of the grips sit into the gouge area...just doesn't sit in tightly, was cut at the wrong angle...Felt area... Is where the cylinder sits, with the hammer at half-cock....only..the hammer won't go that far...makes it hard to rotate the cylinder. hinge wasn't done the best, either. Bought some 3/4" x 4" x 24" White Oak..some new hinges, and a set of Dremel bits... Bandsaw to cut 2 pieces. Blade has way too much set...need to plane the rough edges.."shooting Board & plane? Not exactly. Stanley No. 3c. test fit the two parts.. Will do, for a start..set up the Dremel with a cutting disc..and, once I located where the cut needed to go.. I cut a line straight down. Old one was at an angle. Move the pattern out of the way, grab a gouge and a hammer.. Chop out the waste. Then lay out for the hinge's location.. To match the old one's location. Chop a recess... Make sure it fits... mark the locations of the screws.. Start a hole for the drill to follow ( they tend to wander a bit).. Drill a couple pilot holes...and.. wax the screws up, and grab a screwdriver. Laid out the other cut, and rough cut it to shape.. Not attached, yet. need to adjust to fit the revolver better, when Mr. Bishop stops by tomorrow afternoon...he can add his own felt, once the jig is stained and finished,, I even tried to match the grain to the old jig....hope it works like he wants it to... stay tuned
Soo, Bought a 1x6x48" plank of pine. Lowes finest.. Handsaw to cut to the length needed. Coping saw to cut the supports out of the waste. #78 plane to cut a rebate on each end, to house the supports. Drill a few holes, two were for a dowel rod. Added a metal bracket in the middle, to help hold the shelf while I installed it.. Picture was a puzzle we put together, then glued up. Might get a frame...someday.. Some of the screw holes needed a pilot hole, like on the corners. Glued and screwed, a push drill to make the pilot holes, first. A spade bit to make the deeper ones in the supports. A 3" long screw was then driven into the King studs on each side. just a pine project...