Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'danish modern'.
It's done, and delivered to the owner lastnight. It turned out really nice, the chair is nice and tight now, and I steel wooled it clean of dirt and smooted out imperfections, then I applied a very liberal coat of BLO and let dry for 15 minutes and rubbed off The next evening I rubbed it out with Liberon Black Bison Wax, this really is the final finish when it comes to any work I do. Finished work does not leave my shop without a coat of wax, the wax gives an overall warmth and eveness to the project, not too mention the Bison Wax just smells reall nice too, I love it. See the beautiful sheen and gloss on the arms and rest of the chair, that is a direct result of the waxing. You'll notice in the images in Danish Modern Part 1 you'll see some paint scratches in the wood, I braved the procedure that Mark Wisecarver had suggested but I shot down, scraping the paint off with a card scraper. It actually worked very well, just a couple light passes with the card scraper the embedded paint came right off.
This project has been sitting in my rafters for months now, and I finally got a chance to get it going once again. It only needed to be tightened up a tad. To view the project when I first got it, click on Last weekend I pulled apart the joints, I wish I had taken photos, but I did not! Shoot oneself in foot. Today I used my favorite wood glue Titebond III and slathered glue all over the joints, and brought them back together with some strategically place clamps. This chair was as loose as a goose. It should be good for a few more decades now. It appears the original glue was an epoxy, it had become brittle and lost its adhesion qualities. The old epoxy was just flaking off. Tomorrow or Sunday I'll rub it down with some 0000 wool and then put a three part oil, varnish, thinner mix on it, it will look wonderful once again, and very useable.
A friend of ours has this beautifully fun, classic chair that she is not sure where it came from except that her brother has had it for over 40 years I believe. The lines are completely cool, the arms if you look at the end or fronts of the arms almost have the old colonial arm chair look with the slenderness and the round tips. Since it was probably built in the late 50's or early 60's, during the height of the Danish Modern period, I am surmising that it is just that. The problem with the chair are the joints are dry and loose. My mission is to pull the chair apart at the joints, and re-glue them and tighten the chair up considerably. Afterwards we'll steel wool it to clean it up then oil it to bring it back. Nothing I do will disturb that fantastic patina it has built up over time, so rich and deep, just gorgeous. The back rest is on a swivel of sorts, I have not sat in it yet, but I bet that adjustable back rest is very comfortable. A really cool idea. Photo above, you can see some of the blemish's that are in the chair, most of these appear to be the chair bumping into a painted surface such as a wall etc. Those will rub out easily. Photo above, I just love that graceful arm. I'll keep the progress pics coming, this will be fun!