The Patriot Woodworkers with Operation Ward 57 Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays - 2019 project is live, please click on link to view our very special annual project.
Search the Community
Showing results for tags '70-400'.
Found 1 result
"Back From The Archives" I finally finished the restoration of this Walker Turner drill press. I restored this DP for a gentleman as payment for some machines that I got from him. You can read more about that here. In my opinion the 20 inch Walker Turner is one of the best drill presses ever made and I wish it was mine. This one came with the production table, 1 hp 3 phase motor, and power-feed. It was in pretty rough shape when I brought it into the shop ... Ugly blue paint job and lots and lots of rust. It's a floor model but as you can see in this pic I lowered the head so it wasn't so top heavy when transporting it. Disassembling the DP was a challenge. Everything was heavily rusted. To give you an idea of how bad it was, this is the inside of the gear box for raising and lowering the table. Rusted solid! I pulled off the motor, powerfeeder and spindle and then I used my old Hercules chain hoist to get the head off the column I then tried to get the table off, it was rusted solid to the column. It took a couple of weeks of soaking it with Acetone and ATF and lots of heat to finally get it to bust loose. The base was even worse. No amount of heat, penetrating oil or banging with a BFH was getting the job done. I finally had to make a puller, or I guess you would call it a pusher, out of an old barbell weight and three ½" bolts to push it off. Even then it took about 2 weeks to get it to budge a 1/16 of an inch, but once I got it moving it came off fairly easily. To get the rust and paint off I made an electrolysis tank and used a 30 inch saw blade for the anode. I put the base in for a couple of days and let it cook ... it got rid of most of the paint and rust. Next I used fine grit sand paper and scotch brite pads to shine it up. Then I finished removing the rest of the rust and old paint and prepped it for fresh paint. Three coats of paint and it was looking good as new. I used the same steps to clean up the head and table. The powerfeeder wasn't working when I first tried it. I took it apart and found a couple of the clutch discs were in wrong. It was then working but when I cleaned it up I found a couple busted gears. I informed the owner about it and he decided he didn't want it repaired so the powerfeeder didn't get put back on. The owner doesn't have 3 phase power in his shop so I added a Teco FM50 VFD. Now the motor will run on single phase 120 v power and the VFD also gives it variable speed which I really like. So here's some pics of the DP all restored. The DP looks and works great .... now I don't want to give it back to it's owner. Thanks for looking, Shane