SketchUp - Free Webinar (Live Tutorial)

Michael, how did it go tonight!

Michael & Matthew Agate said:

Rob - This class was really an introduction. I wanted to take people who had no idea about SketchUp and introduce them to the possibilities. Show them the tools, how to navigate around, take simple shapes and make a table. I need to develop an advanced class as well for those that know the basics. 

Michael and Matthew Agate (Newfoundland Canada)

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
Proud Supporter of Homes For Our Troops and Wounded Warriors Project

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not very good at Sketchup. I do know the basics but it takes me a while to figure simple things out. Our next class is this Tuesday. We started making a table time but plan on changing design during Tuesday's meeting. That way we can show how you can make changes in sketchup before cutting any wood.

John,

I have had some positive email message replies. Being the teacher I can't really give the honest feedback. It would have to be the students. We did get to cover a few topics and show a few things that were not on the agenda. I enjoyed the class. 

John Morris said:

Michael, how did it go tonight!

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker

Sounds like a great class Rob. That really is the beauty of Sketchup. Allowing you to design and plan through your project before touching the physical wood. :)

Rob Austin said:

I'm not very good at Sketchup. I do know the basics but it takes me a while to figure simple things out. Our next class is this Tuesday. We started making a table time but plan on changing design during Tuesday's meeting. That way we can show how you can make changes in sketchup before cutting any wood.

I want to give a big thank you to Michael for the Sketchup class last night.  I'm quasi proficient at Sketchup but by setting in on the class I learned some really practical shortcuts.  Thanks again Michael.

Ron Dudelston
Site Administrator

Above and Beyond WoodWorks

Ron, 

It was my pleasure. It's not a Bob Lang tutorial by no means. Yet, hopefully I was able to show some of the beginners how easy basic modeling can be with Sketchup. There is so much more that can be offered in the form of advanced classes but I got the idea for this beginners  class from some of your memebers on here asking about sketchup, So I thought, an Intro into sketcup basic would be fun to show. :) 

Matthew sat in on the end of the class and asked if I was now a teacher. lol. 

Ron Dudelston said:

I want to give a big thank you to Michael for the Sketchup class last night.  I'm quasi proficient at Sketchup but by setting in on the class I learned some really practical shortcuts.  Thanks again Michael.

Ron Dudelston
Site Administrator

Above and Beyond WoodWorks

The class is a must attend for TPW folks so I hope you have another.

Ron, 

It was my pleasure. It's not a Bob Lang tutorial by no means. Yet, hopefully I was able to show some of the beginners how easy basic modeling can be with Sketchup. There is so much more that can be offered in the form of advanced classes but I got the idea for this beginners  class from some of your memebers on here asking about sketchup, So I thought, an Intro into sketcup basic would be fun to show. :) 

Matthew sat in on the end of the class and asked if I was now a teacher. lol. 

Ron Dudelston said:

Thanks

Tony, I will message you once I set up the second class. 

Tony Greenway said:

Hey Paul, now that we have Michael aboard as our Woodworking Plans and Software Host, this forum here is your Q&A area! Perhaps we may consider renaming our forum to include Sketchup, since is it an integral part of the modern woodworker today.

Paul Corona said:

how about a Sketch-Up Q&A area....I use it, but am a novice at best....discovered best to dimension an edge prior to rounding it over

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker

Not sure if I posted this here at The Patriot, but now that we have more folks interested, it might be useful as a reference.

On another site, I followed a continuing blog for learning Sketchup. One of our members, Betsy, wanted to learn how to use the software and she worked with another very knowledgeable gentleman- Dave Richardson. With their permission, I converted the blog into a PDF file and it is located at https://www.box.com/shared/a14fycr4qv. It can be viewed on line or downloaded.

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host

Time traveler. Purveyor of the world's finest custom rolling pins!

What link did you use Larry to download it? I keep getting this link called Trimble Sketchup when I search for it.

Larry Buskirk said:

I just downloaded the free version.

Time to go check it out!!!

Larry

ning-oldmansmiley-16278-72.gif

Old Woodworking Machinery Forum Host

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker

believe Trimble owns SketchUp now......

John Morris said:

What link did you use Larry to download it? I keep getting this link called Trimble Sketchup when I search for it.

Larry Buskirk said:

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker

You got to be kidding! This is too much Paul, the reason why this strikes me as funny and insanely monopolistic if there is such a word, I am a land surveyor, and Trimble is a premier land surveying equipment and software retailer for the surveying world. And they have been buying up companies that used to be really good, and were competitors of Trimbles own software, they shelf the product after a year or so, then they stop supporting it, and they let the product die on the vine, this acquisition if it's true, truly bothers me, as Trimble is not friend to stuff for "Free" or shareware. They have a proven track record of buying, and letting it die.

Paul Corona said:

believe Trimble owns SketchUp now......

John Morris said:

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker

Archived