Guest John Morris

That is a side of you I did not know about Walter, turning bats! Wow! Did you do it under your own name or a company?

Walter A said:

I totally agree... I made 100,000 wood bats over the last 12 years, Ash is King!

But the wood bat business is the only one where people who know nothing about wood and manufacturing actually can tell a man with 42 years turning experience how to do his job.  That's why I'm out of that business.

As a side note, I wish the Little Leagues up through highschool ball would ban the use of aluminum bats. Those are dangerous as heck to our kids. Why we can't go back to wood bats in the lower leagues is beyond me. Even at the college level they are still using aluminum. Now I don't get that one at all, some of those boys are one step away from the majors and they are making them use aluminum where the ball comes off that bat at lightening speeds, plus, the crack of a ball coming off a wooden bat, nothing like it!

Amen Walter! We were watching a college game Oklahoma v Oregon last week and those boys were hitting that ball off that bat so fast, very little time for infield to react, crazy fast!

And back to the younger kids, even in little league, injuries are happening due to the high velocity of the ball off the bat.

Here is an interesting short story

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1149406-take-me-out-on-a-stretcher-the-case-against-aluminum-bats-in-baseball

Walter A said:

Ahhhh... that was my mantra for 12 years.

I'm sorry... aluminum bats created wannabe hitters out of almost anyone who stepped up to the plate.

Makes for very bad training and higher stats for players who are not really that good.

Archived