How To Make an Adjustable Sawtooth Shelf Support System

Rate this topic

Yep, the gang cutting is a must Lew to keep them all aligned correctly and it just cuts the time down considerably. I'll tell ya what, that little Swanson I am using for the layout has been a very trusty square since I bought it over 15 years ago. It has seen a ton of action, it has resided in my tool bags while I was installing doors part time all those years and I used it faithfully for laying out butt hinge locations, and it has worked its way out my bags into the shop as a permanent resident and a very accurate square that is as good as any engineers square out there. I am sure the Swanson is a Starrett knock off, and it seems they even knocked off the Starrett accuracy too! 

Glad you guys like this How To for the shelf supports.

They are quite easy Pat, and fun too actually, you get to utilize some hand tooling which for me is always fun. You really don't even need power to recreate these, you could use a dovetail saw for a carcass saw instead of the Table Saw.

Pat Meeuwissen said:

John, great step by step directions. Was looking at my wife cabinet which has these in there and had wondered how to reproduce them. Thanks Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, sire, you are truely an artisan. From a thought to finished project is "Total time for these shelf supports were 1 hour. ".  I a certainly impressed. It would probably take me an hour just designing a jig/fixture to take the guesswork and tired ole eyes syndrome out of the equation.

Ya but sometimes that thought to finish style I have Fred bites me in the but! A lot of times I'll build like this just winging it off the top of my head as I go, and sometimes it turns around and slaps me silly! Doh!

But this time it worked out fine, being under a time crunch to get these cabinets delivered by a specific date lends to the on the fly thinking. I am glad you like them Fred, I hope you can use them in the future.

Fred Wilson said:

Wow, sire, you are truely an artisan. From a thought to finished project is "Total time for these shelf supports were 1 hour. ".  I a certainly impressed. It would probably take me an hour just designing a jig/fixture to take the guesswork and tired ole eyes syndrom out of the equation.

Thanks Sue, I got the shelves notched and the cleats done this past weekend among other things, and I photographed the process, I just need to get them up here on TPW. I'll work on that in the coming couple days.

SQ said:

John, Those turned out great!  Good information!

SQ

Now, John, It was a writing of amazement - the other was time it would have taken ME ! ! ! !

The only butte I would care to bite at this time is a well roasted pig.. :)

John Morris said:

Ya but sometimes that thought to finish style I have Fred bites me in the but! A lot of times I'll build like this just winging it off the top of my head as I go, and sometimes it turns around and slaps me silly! Doh!

But this time it worked out fine, being under a time crunch to get these cabinets delivered by a specific date lends to the on the fly thinking. I am glad you like them Fred, I hope you can use them in the future.