Colonial Wall Box Part 1

John Morris

See Part 2 of this build and completed project.

Yesterday I was wrapping up some work for a customer, and I had sometime in between waiting for the paint to dry so I thought, man I'd sure love to do something fun right now. And I have always wanted to build one of the Colonial Wall Boxes we have here on our site at the Downloads department.

So I came in and printed out the plan, took it out to the shop and commenced to ripping down a 10/4 chunk of cherry to build the box.

First photo is my block of Cherry that I cross cut off 18" from a 10 foot length of it I had laying around, you can see our colonial box plan to the right of it.

ning-dsc06987-6965-11.jpg?width=750

Then it took me about an hour to get the pieces roughed out of that 10/4 Cherry, I had to re-saw it on the TS, take one pass then flip it and another pass.

But we got the parts roughed out, or some of the parts, we still need the base and the drawer parts, but the body of it is roughed out pretty good.

ning-dsc06990-6965-1.jpg?width=750

Then a dry fit to make sure it resembles the image in the plan.

ning-dsc06988-6965-60.jpg?width=750

I band-sawed the back and sides out about 1/16th up to the layout line, and I used a rasp to fair the curves and bring the shape into the pencil lines.

I still have a couple hours to go on this lil project, but it is fun! These are very cool looking. Once together I'll be smoothing the edges, sculpting the outline and beveling, to give it some character and to get away from the boxy look it has now.

• 5 years later...