Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Don Robinson

Recent Hiking Staffs

Rate this topic

Hi Lewis, Thanks for your comment. I used the scroll saw to cut the crook and subsequently carved its from a piece of 1 3/4 inch thick ash which I had cut down several years ago. I attached it to the staff using a 1/2 inch oak dowel drilled into both pieces about 3 inches and attached with Gorilla glue.

Don R

Thanks Guys. John, I use only a knife for the carvings and limited use of a Dremel for cleaning out the diamonds. Then lots of elbow grease  and sandpaper. The finish is six coats of Deft brushing lacquer. It is a lot of dirty work but I really enjoy creating them and they are always well received from my customers.

I missed these beautiful sticks.  Does Don sell these sticks?  

Could you cut off the top, soak it in water and then put it in the microwave or oven for a few minutes to steam it?  Of course, you would need a jig to form it while it is hot and steamy.  Just a thought.