Trivets Fish Shaped

Cliff

I had the best birthday I ever had.

For the first time I corralled my lovely little granddaughters into the shop to make a couple of hot plate fish shape trivets for their mother. She'd been feeling poorly and I told the little girls that there's nuthin in the world that makes a mommy feel better about things than gifts from their babies that were made by their babys hands with love care and diligence.

So we selected from shapes of fish I snarfed off the WWW and got some apple and maple logs (yes that's right we started with logs - short ones, but logs just the same) and resawed and jointed and planed and  ripped strips and crosscut pieces of the contrasting color wood.

Then we  glued up the pieces and left them over night and the next day - - -

Yah it was a two day job.

The next day we changed the band saw blade together and I showed em how to transfer laser printouts to wood using acetone then with the fish images properly transferred I held them close with my hands on theirs and  guided them while they took their work pieces and sawed the fish shapes out on the band saw.

Then it was off to the bench for an hour or so of sanding and stroking with files and wood shaped and strips to get the edge contours just right.

And they signed them with a wood burn in a discrete place.

That night we all had a birthday / new years eve party.

It was the best birthday ever.

ning-fishtrivits-6156-72.jpg?width=750

And of course mommy was most pleased.

• 5 years later...