Friday, Jan 24th, What's on Your Patriot Woodworking Agenda this Weekend?

John Moody

Wow the cold weather has hit the south this week. It was 7* when I got in the truck this morning to head out to work. Thankfully it should warm up into the 40's and 50's this weekend, but there was no shop time last night. I have heat, but it was too cold for me to go from the house to the shop.

Monday it was in the 60's and I picked up a load of oak and maple lumber that I have got to unload this weekend.

ning-img-2866-5660-78.jpgSo most of my day Saturday will be spent getting this off the trailer and into the wood stash and stacked neatly.

Sunday afternoon I am picking up 1000 bf of Cherry which I am splitting with a friend here in town. The sawyer I use called and had someone order this and didn't come and pick it up, so he called me to help him move it. I have a few other logs to take him so this is a lumber weekend for me.

So what are your plans this weekend in your Patriot Woodworking shops? Will this cold let up enough you can get into the shop and work? We want to hear from you and see your projects so let us in on your agenda for the weekend.

Come on post your projects, we know you have some so please share them.

John Moody
Site Administratorning-johnmoodywoodworkslogo2-5660-69.jpghttp://www.johnmoodywoodworks.com
“Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful.†Shaker Saying

I am not sure what the weekend holds for me woodworking-wise. I still have not done the sanding on those rocking chair pieces that went sideways during the painting process before Christmas. But I am not too worried about it as my Grand Nephew is only about 2 months old and not quite ready for rocking. Got all the hardware for an A&C/Craftsman/Rustic style pot rack to hang over our kitchen island that my wife wants as well as some rough mahogany that I was given by a friend at church who works for large lumber supply company that provides materials for manufacturers. These mahogany pieces were actually scrap that was used to stack between pallets when they were shipped from South America and he couldn't bear to toss those away as scrap. I just have to mill them down a bit and it will be good to go. Here is a picture of one that I found online as a model to start with, but I will make some design changes along the way as well as different hardware.

ning-4430414146-fab89ed115-z-5667-97.jpg

My wife has had a very busy week at work and has been pretty wore out as she struggled a few days with a bit of a cold, so I am not sure what she wants to do over the weekend so I amy not get anything done in the shop. Still waiting for all of our tax stuff to come in the mail and then I can get going on our taxes so we can pay from our trip out to see our son and daughter in law in Indianapolis the end of March and first week of April.

Allen Worsham
Corona, CA

allenworsham@earthlink.net

'Graze in every man's field, but always give your own milk.'
J. Vernon McGee

“Our greatest fear should not be that we won’t succeed,
but that we will succeed at something that doesn’t matter.â€
D.L. Moody

John, that's quite a haul of maple. And 500 bf of cherry ain't shabby either. You are a lucky guy. 

Allen, that's a nice project. I built one similar for my son. We put it up in his 60 year old flat roofed apt. Joists? What's that? 

Re sawing door panels from curly maple is on the agenda here. Hate to use it. I just love looking at it. I'm totally impressed with the DeWalt 735. 

Gene
'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Sorry, John, I am still on restriction from woodworking or anything that entails working legs too much.  Finally got the stiches out today so that, in itself, is going to help.

My wife just looked over my shoulder and reminded me that I have two laptops and a desk top computer here that required my expertise.  that being said, it is my personal desktop computer (the one that has all the patterns) that decided to give up the ghost after almost 10 years.  Jist don't make things like they use too, right?

Fred
aka Pop's Shop
www.pops-shop.com
'Soooooo many patterns - sooooo little time'
Scroll Saw Forum Host
'Stop complaining about the storm and learn to dance in the rain.'

I have just spent the past week house sitting while our heating and air condition system was replaced and all the duck work completely restored. The system was over 35 years old so had to be done as it was costing us a fortune in monthly bills and repair. So I have not been in my shop but going to remedy that as soon as it gets up to at least 40 degrees. I have a new Wolverine sharpening system I need to get set up. Also was told I have another wedfing anniversary goblet to make before Valentines. Everyone have a good weekend, stay safe, and stay warm.

Helping my Grandson and his Dad put the finishing touches on his Pinewood Derby car. The race is tomorrow and I can't start to express how much fun it is to have a 7 year old in the shop. The only bad part was chasing him upstairs with grandma when spraying the top coat of finish. Didn't want him around the solvents as they evaporated, acetone is not good for a young set of lungs.

Wayne Mahler
God bless and protect our troops that serve so we can be free.

Well, "Plan B" reared its ugly head this morning. Tami and I drove out this morning to a shopping center about 20 miles away to walk around for awhile and pick up a few things. After I parked the truck and we got out and started to walk away I notice some water drip out from the front of the truck. At first I though it was water from a puddle that we drove through but then I could not remember seeing any puddle, so I walked back to take a closer look. Sure enough it was dripping out from the back of the radiator nad it was orange which is the color of Ford coolant. There was no leakage on the driveway at home so this had to have happened on our 20 minute drive out there. So I figured that since we were there we would just walk around and enjoy our time and then check it out when we got back to the truck as it would be cooled off. It was still dripping so I didn't want to chance driving it home so I called the Auto Club and had them tow it home. After the driver rolled it off the flat bed I pulled it into the garage and got down to taking things apart. sure enough there was a small hole in one of the radiator tubes that would shoot a little stream out when I would squeeze the upper radiator hose. These radiators due to the material cannot be repaired like older radiators so I had to go and buy a new one at the auto parts store along with 2 gallons of coolant. Total cost was $220 and I will replace it myself which is much better than the $700 quote to have it done at the shop. Oh well, at least it is not a difficult repair. I will have to drive my wife to work in her car and drop her off and then pick her back up in the afternoon when she gets off so I can have a vehicle if I have to go pick up anything else I might need while doing the repair.

Allen Worsham
Corona, CA

allenworsham@earthlink.net

'Graze in every man's field, but always give your own milk.'
J. Vernon McGee

“Our greatest fear should not be that we won’t succeed,
but that we will succeed at something that doesn’t matter.â€
D.L. Moody

Archived