Walker Turner Driver Line model 700 Band Saw

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I found a part that's close. It's the same part from a model 720. Only difference is the shaft is .022 smaller than the original. But since it's a sleeve bearing I should be able to replace the sleeve on the wheel. Only problem will be finding a sleeve that will take grease instead of oil.

• 2 weeks later...

you can get cored bronze bushing material from ENCO
Brass and steel are a perfect bearing combination. It'll last a very long time if lubricated regularly. If you make your own from brass bar stock be sure to get what is called "hard" brass.  Drilling it requires  a trick: ya gotta tale a hand stone to the lead edge of the drill bit and hone a tiny flat on it to prevent grabbing.  The  size of the flat only needs to be about 0.005"

Well, it's not really a stress part. It just supports the upper wheel. The only stress would be from the blade tension which would be several lbs at best. All that would be on the hinge section, transferred to the main support. I think pot metal should be ok, since the original was probably ZAMAK.

John

Check your local Ace Hardware store for bronze bushings.

The store by me carries quite a selection of them.

I can usually find something in their stock that I can make work.

It might take fitting two together to make up what you need.

Larry

ning-oldmansmiley-5423-45.gif

Old Woodworking Machinery Forum Host

Thank you, I tried them, but couldn't match the OD. Found something that will work at Accurate Bearing. A little long, but I can handle that without too much of a problem.

I should have the bearings in a few days. I ordered a few extra so I have spares when I make a mistake.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...